We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPad Mini couldn't access wifi but Samsung Galaxy was OK

splinternet

Likes # 0

I was at the Hay Literary Festival yesterday and although they had a good free wi-fi service to which my Android Samsung phone could connect, my iPad Mini could not hold the connection....it found the wi-fi, I entered the userid and p/w and momentarily it appeared to have connected, but then lost it. Another person near me had exactly the same issue with her iPad Mini. As soon as we got home, my iPad connected as usual to my home wi-fi and there is no hint of an issue with it.

So what could have been wrong at Hay? Even when I positioned myself next to their router, my iPad still would not maintain the connection. Is there something inherently wrong with the iPad, which I may get with other free wi-fi connections? Or was there something unusual about the Hay setup? Their techno-guru opined that Apple devices don't always connect, whereas Android's don't seem to have a problem.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Routers are limited to the ammount of connections they can make. If a vast ammount of people where connecting there phones, tablets and laptops it could be the router was at it's limit.

It could be that the routers security was wary of apple devices or the orginisers dislike apple and would not connect to their hardware.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I haven't had any major problems with my iPad2 or iPhone connecting to Wi-Fi hotspots. I hit a problem at an airport where it wouldn't connect but my Windows laptop wouldn't connect there either. I don't think that routers can differentiate between Apple devices and other devices. It would have been useful if they could have changed the channel for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...