We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I can't get Google Earth to load/boot

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting Google Earth to load.

It started playing up about 18 months ago,,,, sometimes it acted correctly,,,, other times, it was messy. After a while, it stopped loading/booting.

I tried an update, to no avail.

I have uninstalled it and downloaded it a dozen times or so.

It seems to download o.k, but will just not boot/load.
I think the last one – today – was v7.1.1.

Any ideas please ? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : IE9 (or 10 now ?) : Win 7 ult (32)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Goggle for Google Earth Version 7.0.3.8542, then see if that one works.

It is the version I am using right now, I did earlier have similar problems as you!

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Cheers Nontek,

I'll give it a shot,,,, but over the months, I'm sure I would have already tried it.

Back shortly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again – I am getting somewhere:

It seems to have installed properly, and it does load.

I put in a post code, and it zoomed in,,,, slowly, shakey,,,, creakily,,,, with a couple of black lines coming & going where the images ‘blend’. But, the image doesn’t focus.

I input another post code, which it listed,,, but wouldn’t even zoom in.

Soooo close,,,, but soooo far !

Also: what’s the difference between this version & 7.1.1 ?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Not a lot of difference, just an earlier version - latest versions are not necessarily better.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for that NT:

I put in a post code, and it zoomed in,,,, slowly, shakey,,,, creakily,,,, with a couple of black lines coming & going where the images ‘blend’.

But, the image doesn’t focus.

The screen is full of a smog-like colour,,,,,, until I pull back, & the image comes into view,,,,,, but from miles up in the sky.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Are any other programs affected, if so perhaps you need to update your graphics driver?

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

I'll look into the NVidia driver,,,, but,,,, I have just tried to launch G.E again,,,, but it has gone back to previous versions, in that it just won't launch.

The desk-top icon does have the blue/tallow shield on it,,,, but I have tried loading in both my names - one as Admin. This is my home machine, with only me using it, so I run everything as Admin.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Its not working,,,,,,,,

I'm giving up again. I'll delete it and try in a few weeks,,,,, though, I've been trying for 18 months or so, with the same results on different versions.

I dropped Google a line,,,, but no reply.

Looks like I'll have to rely on Maps - grrrr.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I checked NVidia driver. It was current, but I tried to update anyway.

thanks for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...