We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using Acronis 11- Please can I have a bit of help?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I've FINALLY got around to backing up my laptop after years of preaching to anyone who'll listen about the importance of backing up. Last night I used Acronis 11's 'Back up' option which apparently backs up my files, folders, application settings and email accounts on my hard drive. I then thought I should clone my hard drive so went to that option and I didn't fully understand what the following meant: 'Note that you have to remove the old hard drive when data moving is completed'.

I don't understand this, I thought that I could clone my hd to an external hd and use that in case of any emergencies? Please can someone explain why I would have to remove my hd?

Thank you in advance.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

PS- Is the 'Back up' that I have made the same as 'making an image back up'? The file that now appears on my ext. hd is a '.tib'?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Cloning - Acronis is assuming that when you clone a drive you are intending to replace your drive with a newer or larger drive, that is why it says remove old drive - this is just what Cloning is meant for!

The .tib file IS your back-up! This should be saved, as you have done, to a separate drive for use at some time in the future if or when your PC has a severe problem and you wish to return it to a good state, exactly as it was at time of creating the back-up.

If you ever need to restore your full back-up, you simply open Acronis, highlight your back-up and click on Restore. Restore does not take as long as creating the back-up.

I make full back-ups every month at least, or after making any significant changes to my PC.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also read this:

Other thread

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I will do a more comprehensive reply later! Nontek is quite right. When you made made your image, do "verify" it. Look up the details in the user guide - a pdf is available!

Acronis True Image 11 User guide

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Nontek and John, that is fantastic and incredibly helpful, thank you so much. I will verify the back up now.

One more question- I have made my back up, made an Acronis bootable DVD, is there anything else you would advise I do, other than making monthly back ups?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Nothing else to advise, you are doing it all OK. Well done.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Well done! As I said before in another thread, in my case I have my main drive partitioned into 100 gig (C:) for programmes and the rest for data. Then I just do ATI images of the C drive, using Freefilesynch (not suitable for programmes, only data)more or less daily to make a mirror image of data This is very quick after the first time . Maybe leave that for now. I also find it easier to a "full" rather than incremental back up, and before doing it run anti virus and anti malware scans and a defragment. Glad you have sorted it!!

PS I keep 2 "good" images, and when I do a third one, I ditch the oldest one to save space. JB

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I agree with john bunyan - i.e. I never do anything but Full Backups.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Absolutely fantastic advice, i owe you all big time. Thank you so much! I especially liked the advice of keeping the newest 2 back ups and deleting the oldest. I remember years ago I had an ext. hd full of back ups. Lol.

Thank you so much!! No incremental back ups for me.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Damn it- Quick one (and that's it, I promise) 1. I notice that in my ext. hd, apart from the expected .tib file, there are three files named similar to DFR2164.tmp?

1. I seem to remember years ago that I could burn my .tib files to DVD? However, using Acronis today I notice that the .tib file is one huge one so there is no way of burning that to DVD? (I was just trying to be ultra careful here)
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...