We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband signal weak through interferance

steve263000

Likes # 0

I have recently been having problems with my broadband. (Virgin). It went off yesterday and today and a technician came out. The router was changed and he tested all the signals.

He could find no problem with his equipment but got it working again my changing the channels. He said there must be something in the house or near neighborhood that is causing it.

The only thing that has changed is a new fuse box put in to power a new cooker and cooker hood in my kitchen. Could that be causing it? And if so what can be done about it?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Has changing channels fixed the problem.

May have been a neighbours signal that was interfering with yours.

Anyone close to you showing a high signal

Oops I was assuming that you were connected by Wireless.If connected by ethernet ignore rambling.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Changing channels has not solved problem. I am connected by the Virgin 'superhub' which up until recently has been working fine. How do I check for a high signal?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Run this and let us know what your download and upload speed is.

Are you connected to your computer by Wireless or are you connected by Ethernet cable.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"only thing that has changed is a new fuse box put in to power a new cooker and cooker hood in my kitchen. Could that be causing it? And if so what can be done about it?"

Process of elimination of any and all electrical equipment, You can check if that is the cause by switching off trip switch for that circuit/radial in your fuse box, and see if it solves the problem.

In fact if you switch all of the trip switches off - just leaving the ones you need to power electric plugs circuit for modem, router and pc - (and also disconnect any other equipment tvs, radios etc) then switch on each in turn (trip switches and other equipment) to see if any affect the Broadband signal (interference starts again).

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Download speed 13925 kbps and upload speed 2944 kbps.

I am on a wireless broadband with Virgin. I have tried turning off the trip switches and that does not seem to be causing the problem as far as I can tell.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"How do I check for a high signal?"

In wireless networks, search for other networks and look at the signal strength.

It looks like Channels is causing the problem, maybe when technician changed wireless channel one of your neighbours wasn't 'switched on' or maybe they also had been having problems and they've changed their channel as well (sod's law)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I take it you are supposed to get a 20mb or 30mb download speed and it is falling short of that.

How far away from the Superhub is your computer.

You can go back into the superhub and try different channels to see if it would make any difference.

Have you any neighbours showing a full signal on your computer.If so a channel change may help.

You could switch the superhub off for 20 seconds then switch it back on and see if there is any difference.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Ideally you should get the speed you pay for. I pay for "up to 8mbps" and am getting about 9 -10 mbps (via copper wires). I do not download films nor video, and find that my 9mbps is perfectly adequate - no stuttering on BBC I Player etc. As a matter of interest why do you need such high speeds? I ask because I am thinking of trying fibre optic, but do I really need it?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

john bunyan

I pay for 10Mb with Virginmedia and they upped it to 20mb then upped it again to 30 Mb which I now get.

So if they give you 30 Mb that is what you get connected by cable but wireless can be different depending on how far away from the router you are.

steve263000

Any cordless phones beside the router or computer if so maybe shift them just to see if it makes a difference or not.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Hands-on with the new Samsung Galaxy. Samsung's flagship is more iPhone-lr......

IDG UK Sites

5 things we hate about MWC: What it's like to be a journalist at a technology trade show

IDG UK Sites

Ractive powers The Guardian's interactive infographics – and lets novice coders build complex...

IDG UK Sites

What does that mean? A jargon-buster dictionary of tech terms for Apple fans