We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would this PC spec be good enough for high quality gaming?

GunnerBB

Likes # 0

Hi

Would a PC of the below spec be able to easily play games such as Shogun 2 Total War on the maximum graphic settings? If not where should i improve it so that it can?

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

Power Supply CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£89)

Processor Cooling Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£39)

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

Also how future proof would this system be?

Many thanks for any help

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

According to gamesystemrequirements.com click here your system should comfortably play Shogun 2 Total War at max graphic setting of medium to high resolutions.

<<Also how future proof would this system be?>> Until DX12 games come out in the near future.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

IMHO, it would cream just about any game you could throw at it...

Like this post
nuttypiglet

Likes # 0

I would personally opt for 16gig of ddr3 ram or more.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would personally opt for 16gig of ddr3 ram or more.

Which would be a waste of money.

For the longest time, "more RAM" was the commonplace answer when the question "How can I increase my PC's performance?" was asked. That's no longer the case. Silicon has caught up and blown past what most consumer operating systems and general use software are capable of using. The sweet spot nowadays tends to be 4GB. Anything over, make sure you'll at least use it or it's wasted. Monitoring your system's resources to find bottlenecks is more important now than it has ever been so you won't be frustrated when you buy an additional 8GB RAM for a "performance boost" and don't see any.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Gunner , that layout should happily chew up and spit out almost any game you want to throw at it . But don't forget, your screen is as important as the GPU ,so don't scimp there or you will waste potential. Chronos makes a very valid point tho , and one which i have fallen foul of.( I am the proud owner of the most underworked 16Gb of 1866 ram in the world ) !

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

nickf - For gaming 4 GB but for HD video editing 16 GB but you have to make sure that the program that you are using can utilise the RAM.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

At a certain point more ram doesn't do anything, even for video editing. It's mainly software side. Software makers aren't making programs that utilize six or eight gigs of ram. 8GB will be more than enough!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow