We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to add a hyperlink to your forum posts, and other help with using the forum

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Quite a few people appear to have difficulties with including hyperlinks in their forum posts.

We have recently posted a revised edition of our rules for using the forum, together with some helpful hints on forum conduct, etc. Included is an explanation of how to add hyperlinks to your posts.

You can read about it by clicking on the link that says "view forum rules" at the top of each forum page, or by clicking here The explanation on hyperlinks is in the section entitled 'Forum jargon'

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Great idea to update the forums T&C - Thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Forum jargon, rules say: "Green tick – This is used to indicate that a subject has been satisfactorily resolved, and can only be placed on a thread by the person who starts it. You’ll find the button that does this at the end of your thread"

I feel the above is not clear enough and would be better worded something like:

"click on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked Resolved"

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hyperlinks, I find an easier/alternative way is to type my post then:

within my post, highlight/select the words I want to become a hyperlink

Click on the small green/blue globe icon and paste link address into dialogue box that appears and click on OK

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

lotvic

The advice from the 'Revised' rules on the Green Tick is totally wrong,as the ability or button to change the grey tick to green appears at the side of every post and certainly not at the end of the thread.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

or another way, instead of clicking on the globe: hold down Ctrl and press L and that will bring up the dialogue box that you paste the URL website address into.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My apologies re: the green tick issue. The para about the button was in the previous version, and shouldn't be in the revision - we'll sort it out.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger