We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best way to download music safely

ripply
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello, so far I've only bought songs for my mp3 from Amazon but I've been told by other people that there are lots of sites to download music for free and legally. I'm just a bit wary about doing this as I'm really worried it might give my computer a virus but I don't know if that's true. I do have antivirus and I only need to buy a few songs occasionally. If these sites involve file-sharing, what's to stop a virus being added? Or, would my antivirus definitely stop that happening. Is it safer to stick with a site like amazon or is there not much difference?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

It all depends on what you want to Download.

There are sites that offer 'legally free' Music that has been offered by new Bands trying to break into the market. You will never have heard it before and you may never hear it again. However, you may just latch onto the new 'Fleet Foxes' or discover the Gallagher Brothers before anyone else.

If you want Music, whose Musicians, Writers and Producers are allowed to make a living, then you will need to pay for it.

Like this post
ripply

Likes # 0

Are all these file-sharing sites illegal then? I thought they were legal but was just worried about the chance of getting a virus.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 1

Personally I use a small USB device called Prolectrix, which you can select the type of music you like and it will search the internet for you. You cannot normally download specific titles, however I have found music from groups and bands that I would never have heard of and bought their music, although this is entirely up to you.

Terry

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Technically the File Sharing Sites are not illegal and unless you download a Copyrighted File, without permission of the Owner, they have done nothing wrong. However you have then committed an illegal act.

These Sites are said to be a hotbed of viruses, but I know of few kids that have had problems while downloading. So perhaps not as high risk as they are made out to be.

Like this post  
ripply

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just stick to amazon for a while anyway. I only need to buy the odd song and maybe I'll look elsewhere when I get more experienced.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can listen to a lot of music on You Tube.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Spotify, iTunes etc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia