We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

P C BLOCKED - read why below Scam in operation.

eysha1

Likes # 0

I have just had my friend tell me that his computer has been blocked by the police and he has to pay £100 to get it unblocked within 72 hours or it will be perminantly blocked. Yes it is a scam but at his age he was totally lsot as it told him he had been looking at naughty sites when he hadn't, he was looking at a woodwork site when it came up. The problem now is when he switches his computer on it is still there, the screen apprears frozen with no x to close it down. Has anyone heard of this? How do i get back in to do a system restore and them a spywear clean etcetera. I was thinking of downloading soemthing like roadkill and taking it to him on a usb and seeing if that would work -any ideas? I am sure lots of people would pay the money but luckily he told me first thinking he had to pay up. The screen says something like 'Police central e-crime. PC blocked. Fine £100. pay by paysafe card. pc will be unblocked in 72 hours if you do or permanantly blocked if you don't pay' - or words to that affect, he couldn't remember it all.
Advise please. E.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

A well known scam. Have a look here. 'Police central e-crime removal'.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This is the UKASH virus

Removal instructions all over the web as its very common

If you cannot do it by booting into safemode with networking the the best way is to download and burn a Hitman pro kick start CD (This may be easier anyway)

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

Start in safe mode with internet access,download malwarebytes free version,scan delete all it finds should sort problem

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Very many thanks, he was so worried at his age. I will follow instructions and cross fingers too.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Have put hitman pro onto a usb drive but sine i don't know if his computer is 32 or 64 bits i dowbloaded both. how will i know which is his, the 32 or the 64? Downloaded the maleware one too and will use on my computer now.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Have put hitman pro onto a usb drive but sine i don't know if his computer is 32 or 64 bits i dowbloaded both. how will i know which is his, the 32 or the 64? Downloaded the maleware one too and will use on my computer now.

Like this post
Bob Exeter

Likes # 0

Refer to my solution 8th May This will solve it.

Bob Exeter

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Refer to my solution 8th May This will solve it.

It would probably help if you could supply a link to the solution.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

re: Bob Exeter. here is link to his May post

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4228347/police-central-e-crime-unit-pceu-ransomware-removal/

and here is post contents, I've copied and pasted:

"System restore to an earlier date is the solution.

Turn off the internet connection.

Start the rig and press F8 new screen follow to set my computer to an earlier time or words to that effect. Use the NSEW [arrow keys] keys on the key board to attain this press enter and merely wait and then allocate the date prior to this incident.

When completed employ a full anti virus and malware programmes and you should be clear.

Bob Exeter."

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks, i did try everything without success. last resort is to wipe the hard drive i guess.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger