We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup Items NOT starting XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

XP SP3 fully updated

for last couple of days my progs that should start on boot haven't

i.e Avast, Sygate firewall, Spamihilator, , Acronis, - Keyfuffle and Tclock in Start menu all should appear in system tray.

Checked with CCleaner they are shown as enabled, the keys are there in the registry HKLM...Run

They all start OK if selected from the program menu

Scanned with Hitman pro, Avast and Malwarebytes, nothing found

Tried a system restore made no difference

Restored last Fridays Acronis Image yesterday booted OK everything fine

Switched PC on this morning and back to same fault.

Anyone have any ides?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Found this but not sure if it will help.

http://re-enable.softpedia.com/

It also does this.

Re-Enable also includes a tool menu where you can Scan Edit Delete Autorun.inf files,

Not sure if any good but worth a look I suppose.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I've just done a reboot

all I did was open msconfig untick a box click apply retick the box -click apply

on reboot everything loads ok ????

next I'm going to reboot with out changing anything and see if it all comes back

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Rebooted and the problem returns

Also found logging off and back on again same thing happens

When fault is on also find that desktop hangs on shutdown/log off for awhile and also hangs at logging off screen and shutting down screen for awhile.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Shot in the dark, have you checked for a rootkit? Have you tried running with an other AV?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes see earlier posts I run several scans Hitman pro Malwarebytes and SAS also loaded Commdo. No problems found

Have just reverted to n image from the 17th but avast doesn't start everything else OK avast not starting becaus I forgot I had deleted the Avast5 folder from my F drive after the latest version loaded itself to Avast software folder [lost the pirate voices :0(]

Once I reload that folder from the F drive backup, I will do some reboots and see what happens.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Everything back to normal now using the image from 2 weeks ago

have reloaded the windows updates since then and reimported my emails and files since that date.

Logged on and off a few times ok and restarted a few times Ok.

No idea what the caused the problem, couldn't even blame windows updates as they are now back in.

I spent to much time chasing it and needed to get it right before tonights' backup overwrote the one from two weeks ago, as the one from last week didn't seem to stop the problem.

Now I need to get some work done as I wasted enough time chasing whatever it was.

Thanks for all the suggestions, pity I couldn't find an answer but thank goodness for backups

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

I had a similar mystery, and eventually I get really fed-up with not resolving the problem, that I did a complete reformat. Not sure now, whether that was with XP Home or Pro, more likely Home :O(

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad it's sorted, just put it down to the gremlins :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

See what happens tomorrow.

They will probably disappear again one by one.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If they do, that will push me toward hat new windows 7 desktop machine I've had my eye on for awhile.

:0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger