We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup Items NOT starting XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

XP SP3 fully updated

for last couple of days my progs that should start on boot haven't

i.e Avast, Sygate firewall, Spamihilator, , Acronis, - Keyfuffle and Tclock in Start menu all should appear in system tray.

Checked with CCleaner they are shown as enabled, the keys are there in the registry HKLM...Run

They all start OK if selected from the program menu

Scanned with Hitman pro, Avast and Malwarebytes, nothing found

Tried a system restore made no difference

Restored last Fridays Acronis Image yesterday booted OK everything fine

Switched PC on this morning and back to same fault.

Anyone have any ides?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

That's an interesting link that Jock1e has posted. Many of the symptoms were as I'd experienced. I note that it mentions about timing issues.

One of the other things (other than Avast pgm u/d) that may also of ameliorated things for me was the latest Windows Update (which I installed last week on my return from Greece). Whether the Windows Update actually changed anything relevant, I don't know. But is is likely that just installing the updates has caused the timings on boot to change (even if only slightly). That leads on to another simple thing to try to change the timings: Defrag the system partition.

As a defrag will move a number of things around (as well as defrag), the timings on boot may get changed such that (if it is a timing issue) the problem goes away.

Like this post
nuttypiglet

Likes # 0

I had lots of issues with avast. A year ago I switched to microsoft essentials and have never looked back.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Batch I restored an image - everything fine

booted a few hours later and back to the problem therefore I don't think its an MS update problem maybe and Avast problem as that updated its self but would suspect others to have same problem if so.

Its been OK on last two boots so it may have sorted itself however its annoying me not knowing what caused it in the first place.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I wonder if it might be worth a play with settings on this: Rightclick the Start button and choose Properties | Taskbar tab | at the bottom under Notification Area settings there is a tick box for 'Hide inactive icons' | if you tick that the 'Cusomize' button becomes available and you can choose the notification behaviour. Then, next to each item, if you click on words 'Hide when inactive' there is a dropdown menu of choices.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Another place to check for anything: Administrative Tools | Services

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

lotvic

they are not hidden just not there

booted twice this morning and the only things to appear in the system tray are Volume and Network icons

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Just wondering if anything to do with Java.

A few of us removed Java when there was problems with it and never installed it again.

Just wondering if you are one of those that deleted it.

probably nothing to do with that but thought that I would mention it just in case.

I can confirm that all Icons are still showing on my W/7 computer after restoring it back to factory settings.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Java gone awhile ago

Been trawling through event viewer and services - nothing in event viewer

none of the services appear to have changed reset a couple to automatic but still same problem on reboot.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Another one to have a look at.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321213

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not just icons missing the programs are not running

with spamihilator not running at start I have no access to my emails as spamihilator redirects OE through its spam filters. So I definite;y know the programs are not starting.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...