We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup Items NOT starting XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

XP SP3 fully updated

for last couple of days my progs that should start on boot haven't

i.e Avast, Sygate firewall, Spamihilator, , Acronis, - Keyfuffle and Tclock in Start menu all should appear in system tray.

Checked with CCleaner they are shown as enabled, the keys are there in the registry HKLM...Run

They all start OK if selected from the program menu

Scanned with Hitman pro, Avast and Malwarebytes, nothing found

Tried a system restore made no difference

Restored last Fridays Acronis Image yesterday booted OK everything fine

Switched PC on this morning and back to same fault.

Anyone have any ides?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, even though the relevant icons aren't appearing in the Notification Area, have you checked in Task Manager to see if the programs are actually running?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

Part of Avast seems to be running

but all the others are not.

Not happy with MSE at the moment have it on another XP machine and I don't think its doing the job.

Might give Commdo try.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I had the same problem with W/7 for about 4 weeks the icons kept disappearing from the taskbar.

No idea as to what caused it.

I did a factory reset a few weeks back not because of that particular problem and it has been working ok since.

Maybe try chkdsk to see if that finds any problems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Now its getting silly!

Two attempts to boot to safemode and safemode with networking gave BSOD with an 0x000007B

Wonder if this is something to do with the MB3 error I get on every start but boots past it - thought this was something to do with Acronis secure zone.

A reboot to normal mode has boot up as it should with all startup programs running OK and the Start config screen coming up to say I've made changes?

Well I did look in msconfig two or three boots ago :0)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried Device Manager to see if any problems in there.

Just trying to think of something that you may have forgotten to try.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No problems in Device manager

I'll see what happens on a reboot in the morning

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I know that I switched my router and computer off at night and on in the mornings again for a couple of days. The only thing is I cannot remember if that fixed the disappearing icons or not.

I tried everything I knew to sort it and gave up in the end.

I suppose back to factory settings may have fixed it for me.

Did you use the Avast removal tool to get rid of it completely before reinstalling it.

I tried scanning with Eset,Emisoft and downloaded Hitmanpro as well and nothing was found.Tried device manager.sfc /scannow. ipconfig /flushdns.

It had all the hallmarks of a Virus but nothing was found.Switched off all of my security programs and firewall and it would still continue.

Going into show icons and ticking them to show again would work for a short spell then they would disappear again.

It will be interesting to find out if you can find a solution for it.

Like you it was mostly my security Icons that were disappearing.

Not with Virginmedia are you.Just trying to rule that out.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have all of your icons disappeared from the system try if so you have to customise one to never run to get the rest to show.

No doubt you have tried that but thought that I would mention it anyway.

Found this.

Click here

Now plug and play is mentioned a few times in it so maybe the next time you are in device manager click on View,Then click on show hidden devices.Then open plug and play and see if any yellow exclamation marks on that.

Is the date and time ok.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You have probably tried it, but have a look at the Device manager (Windows Key + Break) , select hardware the Device manager and see if you have any yellow question marks, which may indicate a problem.

It could also be that one of your programs is disabling the others.

Another alternative is download SIW.EXE (System information Windows) which is a diagnostic tool and will show you all programs and hardware on your system.

Caution- This is a powerful tool and you can damage your system is you try to adjust the wrong program/ settings, however it does give a lot of useful information on how your system is working.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Done all the checks mentioned so far and found nothing. Network and Sound icon always appear its the security ones that should autorun and Tclock (customisable system tray clock) and keyfuffle (puts sounds on certain keys) both in startmenu that seem to have not wanted to work over the last couple of days.

Have SIW pro also been using process explorer to try and find the culprit.

Just booted up and everything is as it should be.

Will do a reboot in a few hours to see if the problem reoccurs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks