We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup Items NOT starting XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Resolved

Likes # 0

XP SP3 fully updated

for last couple of days my progs that should start on boot haven't

i.e Avast, Sygate firewall, Spamihilator, , Acronis, - Keyfuffle and Tclock in Start menu all should appear in system tray.

Checked with CCleaner they are shown as enabled, the keys are there in the registry HKLM...Run

They all start OK if selected from the program menu

Scanned with Hitman pro, Avast and Malwarebytes, nothing found

Tried a system restore made no difference

Restored last Fridays Acronis Image yesterday booted OK everything fine

Switched PC on this morning and back to same fault.

Anyone have any ides?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried running chdsk?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Also msconfig to check programs have not been 'switched off' ...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

and CCleaner does the same as msconfig but easier, regarding startup items.

just checked with msconfig as well, ticks in all the appropriate services boxes and in start up boxes

No changes in win.ini, sys.ini or boot.ini files

Thanks for the suggestion.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Over the recent weeks I've had what might be similar symptoms (also XP SP3). In my case often I just get the Volume icon in systray. Other times other icons appear. But, as far as I can recall, Avast icon does not appear.

The other obvious symptom is that I can't run anything (I launch programs from Quick Launch). Although the QL bar is showing, if I click on anything I just get the tea-timer showing (whilst the cursor is in the QL area). Also tried CTL+ALT+DEL to get Task Manager up, but no joy.

It doesn't always happen and normally if I reboot it gets past it.

I can't be certain but the problems may have started when around I upgraded to Avast 8. In fact it has been a bit better (only happened once so far) since I did the latest upgrade to 8.0.1489 (and the release notes for that update said something about resolving BSODs [which may or may not be related]).

I'm by no means certain, but I'm suspecting that it may be a timing issue and/or a locking issue (during boot scan with Avast????) and/or something waiting for a response which is managing to get its dialogue displayed. And possibly Avast related anyhow.

These are really just pointers as to possibilities, but would be interested in your feedback given the issues I've encountered.

BTW, I also have a XP SP3 on a lappie and a nettie, but these have not shown any symptoms (yet....).

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

s/b "....and/or something waiting for a response which is NOT managing to get its dialogue displayed"

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is a similar problem and might give you some idea, link although why the problem starts again after an image restore I'm not sure. Worth running your security software in safe mode?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Interesting

Daughter used the machine Thursday and shouted something about AVAST, assumed it was Sygate asking for permission after an AVAST update so shouted back YES.

It then wouldn't connect to anything on the net and WMP wouldn't open (she was using machine to transfer music to phone.

Ended up completely uninstalling and reinstalling AVAST to get things back to normal, seemed OK Friday and did an Acronis Image on Friday night to which I restored Yesterday.

Booted fine off the Restored Image but no good on a reboot today.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

For Programs that are not starting, easy way go to program on desktop right click drag to start button\programs\startup folder then choose create shortcut in the folder. or copy paste to folder

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

woodchip

Keyfuffle and Tclock are in the start up folder and they are not starting.

rdave

forgot to mention ran sfc /scannow with no changes found

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As I had trouble with Avast 7 and Win 8 I used Defender while Avast sorted it out. It might be that the latest upadates to Avast might be causing the problem. On their forums it seems to create a BSOD for some on XP SP3, as Batch pointed out. Might be worth uninstalling Avast in safe mode again and using MSE just for a couple of days to see if the problem is still there?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products