We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have an old laptop hard-disk, how can i use that to my laptop

srinivas_sree

Likes # 0

I bought a new hard-disk and fixed it in my dell laptop and using that from quite some time, I bought an external hard-disk case, Now i want to change my old hard-disk into my laptop and want to use my new hard-disk which am currently using as an external hard-disk, I've some materials and bookmarks, contacts that are saved in my new hard-disk which has windows7 installed, Is that possible to get all these bookmarks and contacts, materials which are in C drive of my new-disk if i change this hard-disk as an external one ?? Can anyone tell how to use the external hard disk. Thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

I presume you have a bootable OS on both harddrives? so it's just a matter of swapping them over? Your materials, are these your personal files in Documents folder? documents folders for both drives can be accessed through Windows Explorer.

You need to have the programs needed to open them installed on the drive you boot from.

You don't say which Browser you are using. You can Export your Bookmarks to a HTML file (this makes a copy of them that can be opened in any browser) and save the file to any location you want - ext harddrive, C drive My Documents, usb flash drive.

Also same principle for your contacts, make a backup copy (you haven't said what email clients are involved)

You can Import the Bookmarks to the browser, and Import the Contacts to mail client on the boot harddrive.

Note: I have two harddrives one with XP and one with W7 that I interchange cables to boot from and all files are accessible. (if I boot to XP I can access all the files on W7 harddrive and vice-versa)

Like this post
srinivas_sree

Likes # 0

thanks...:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...