We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade to windows 8 from windows XP

DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi All I am thinking of upgrading to windows 8 and would like some help,my pc is about 6 years old and starting to run slow,and I believe support will be stopping in 2014 Is it worthwhile financially in upgrading or buying a new machine,my pc is in good condition and would be a shame to dump it. I have seen on Amazon windows 8 upgrade for around £50.00 and more for windows 8 pro. For someone only using the pc at home for normal home computer use, is it worth getting Pro? Will I need to buy a bigger hard drive ,more memory ,etc. My Xp has 144 Gb hard drive,and 1.5 Gb of ram,or any other add ons to get the system up. Your help is much appreciated Regards Dakar

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd run the upgrade tool first, here, and run it without buying Win 8. It will give you the info. Pro upgrade is £49 from Amazon but you might find it cheaper elswhere. I'm running Win 8 32-bit on an old laptop that has a 1.7 Ghz CPU and 2 Gig ram so you'd need to get more ram I think. Also check if your XP version is running 32 or 64 bit as you'll need the same version of Win 8.

XP bit version.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13 Thanks for that, I will run the upgrade tool,and hopefully get back to you as I am no computer expert for more advice. Thanks Kind regards Dakar

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ bigger hard drive ,more memory + the price of W/8. Probably best putting a few £s to it and getting a new one.keep your old one as a spare.

The way I see it you are going to spend £120 upwards in parts when you can get a new on reasonably cheap.Your computer is 6 years old so you maybe get another 2 years out of it.

Click here

Plus you get free delivery with Amazon.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Jock1e - I've set up a couple of those for locals, and they're very pleased with them.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Like I said he should get another 2 years out of it at least but sods law might just click in and after paying for the upgrades something else may go.

My old computer which is 8 years old just now is still working for my daughter but is as slow as can be.

Believe it or not it cost over £600 new and was just a basic model.You could get a half decent one for that price nowadays.

The way I see a it and what I would personally do is.

1. Leave it the way it is and carry on using it.

2. Upgrade it.

3. Instead of upgrading it buy a cheap replacement which should last another 6 years at least and have the old one as a spare.

Just talking about myself here and to me the cheapest method would be to buy a new one.That is the decision that I would make.

Back to my old computer I updated the memory from 512 Mb to 2 Gb which cost about £27 and it never made the slightest difference to the speed of the computer.[ Not that sure about the £27 it may have been more. ]

So that was £27 or so down the drain.

DAKAR

W/8 is not worth getting excited about some like it some don't maybe go into PC World or some other store and see how you get on with it before going through the upgrade process if that is what you are going to do.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I go with Jock1e's recommendation of buying a cheap new PC tower for longevity. Use the old one for backup, just use Ccleaner on it. It mighht speed it up a little.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July