We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot down load e-mail offers

nutty norm

Likes # 0

When I had google chrome and had e-mail offers I just had to click on them and they just downloaded automatically, now with internet explorer it says The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action, Please install a program or, if one is installed, create an association in the Default program Control Panel. Should I go back to having Chrome or not, Nutty norm W/7

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 1

Not sure what you mean ! What are you actually trying to download ?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Is it a PDF you are trying to download?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I use Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and very rarely Internet Explorer on my computer systems.

So if you are having a problem, why not try and use other browsers as a back-up. Installing all three cannot do any harm. Use one as a default if you wish?.

I am not sure, but is the Internet Explorer message asking for a PDF program, that requires installing. If it is then perhaps try Foxit or Abode. You will get a free download from http://www.majorgeeks.com

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A posting at 8 minutes and another at 3 minutes, I have been getting Server Overload trying to post a response :O(

Like this post
nutty norm

Likes # 0

Nutty Norm here,I will start again with my query, When I had google chrome as my web browser (which I had a lot of trouble with)I have taken it of and have google as my web page in Internet explorer,i used to be able to look at my e-mails and if there was any downloads I could just click on them and they would download any trials that were on offer now they wont download and I get the message that was said in my last query, nutty norm.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

First of all, I would be very careful in opening attachments, especially if you have not requested them. Secondly the attachments should have a suffix, such as .doc or .pdf. In W7 you can associate these suffixes with a programme via "Start", "Control panel", Default programmes. Alternatively save the attachment to a folder then study the suffix, open the appropriate programme then open the file. EG a .tiff file comes in. Save then open in your photo editor. DO check by scanning with your anti virus and anti malware before opening though.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Could it be that nutty norm is clicking on a link in an email and he does not have a default browser defined so the 'link' does not know which program (browser) to open to start the download of whatever it is.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Are these downloads links in the email? Check that IE is set to be the default browser even if you only have IE. As above if you don't know the sender, or even if you think you do, I'd be very wary of opening attachments or opening links.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

snap, rdave13 :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Beat me to it lotvic :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow