We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Exporer very slow to launch - the first time each day.

Pineman100

Likes # 0

IE10 running under Windows 8 64-bit.

When I launch IE for the first time after switching on the computer, it takes a-g-e-s to launch fully. I first get a blank white screen, then the Favourites bar appears. After some time to the Google toolbar appears and finally my home page (Google search) appears.

I reckon the whole process takes at least two minutes - sometimes more.

Once this first launch has been achieved, for the rest of the day IE is quite quick to launch.

My add-ons are Shockwave, Java, Norton Toolbar, Norton Identity Protection and Norton Vulnerability Protection (all part of Norton Internet Security 2013).

Is there anything I can do to speed up this initial launch?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Try disabling all the add-ons.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks FE. Any idea why this slowness only affects the first launch of IE each day?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do you use anything like CCleaner at the end of each day's computing? If you do, it may delete the information stored in the Windows prefetch folder. This folder is used by Windows to store startup data for programs that you use regularly, so if say, you start Microsoft Word, and then close it, the next time you start it the program will load much quicker. It does that because Windows has used the prefetch folder for it.

Delete the data in prefetch, and your regular programs will take longer to load, next time you start your computer.

Of course that may not be the reason at all, but if you disable the add-ons you'll rapidly be able to tell if they are the culprits - which is my best guess. Once they've loaded for the first time they'll have data stored in the prefetch, and IE can load them faster.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks again, FE. That prefetch information explains clearly why subsequent launches are much quicker.

I don;t use CCleaner (well, I do every few months, but not daily). However I do have Iolo System Mechanic on my computer. It doesn't appear in my Startup list in Task Manager, but it must be running in the background somewhere, because it regularly pops up during my periods of inactivity to run scans.

Do you know whether System Mechanic deletes prefetch data on shutdown?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you're using the paid for version (don't know if there is a free version) copy the licence number then uninstall. Run Ccleaner's registry cleaner then reboot. Run the PC without that rubbish, err, System Mechanic, and see how it goes.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I may be wrong, but I thought CCleaner only deletes prefetch data under XP? In any case the box is not ticked by default (in W7)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should also have added, make sure everything is set back to default before uninstalling System Mechanic.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

rdave13 - thanks for those thoughts. Why do you say that System Mechanic is rubbish? Before installing it I read several reviews that said it's rather good.

Also, when you say I should make sure that "everything is set back to default" before I uninstall it, what does "everything" mean, please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I stopped using optimizing programs years ago as they can damage the O.S., especially if you use the default settings. When I removed (can't remember the name of the program then) the optimizer, I had to restore the OS's default settings. Otherwise the problems would still be there. Searching for System Mechanic reviews there are some good ones but also some very bad ones, especially with 64-bit version of Windows. Look for a tab in the program for undoing the optimizing, or something similar, and see if IE launches better after a reboot.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, thanks rdave13. I'll have a look and see if there's a setting like that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014