We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gremlins got into my computer last night

eysha1

Likes # 0

I left my computer last night after reading my mail. I did nothing else at all and haven't for days now due to university work. This afternoon i switched on and the whole C drive was completely different. it didn't recognise my profile, my screen saver was changed, my documents and pictures empty, my outlook mail gone and other stuff i forgotten now as i was so puzzled. I couldn't figure it out at all with no idea why it happened. I think the gremlins were in while i slept. I had to do a system restore, which thankfully worked. Anyone any ideas why this happened? I am running vista Explorer 8 as i cannot get 9 because the service pack i have no longer exists and it won't update/download, tried many times and even asked on here too without sucess. Thanks E.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't know about your 'gremlins' but which Vista SP are you on? Both SP1 and SP2 are available to download from microsoft AFAIK

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sounds as though it booted as another user.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I am using SP1, cannot download SP2, had problems for ages there and asked on here too about it but no luck. There are no other users on my computer, just me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I think the gremlins were in while i slept."

Not unless you left the computer running, and connected to the internet overnight, which is never a good idea if you do it as a matter of course.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

eysha1, I had a look at your profile for a thread about problems with Vista Service packs but I can't find any reference to you having posted about it.

Only posts I saw were about making Vista Recovery CD/DVD's.

Can you find your thread and paste the link to it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED