We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will my router work with Fibre Broadband?

stugra
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can someone tell a non-techy person (me!) whether my router will work with fibre broadband?

I am currently with PlusNet broadband, but am looking to upgrade to their fibre broadband. I currently have a TP-LINK modem plugged into an ASUS RT-N66U wireless router - spec is at http://uk.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/#overview

Would all I have to do, be to change the modem if I were go to fibre broadband. Importantly for me, is the ASUS router compatible as it was an expensive thing to change??

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

PlusNet should provide you with a new Router - your questions answered here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Scroll down to bottom of page - Number 16

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Would all I have to do, be to change the modem if I were go to fibre broadband"

Yes, when BT visit you to setup your fibre-optic broadband the engineer will bring a BT Openreach modem.

" Importantly for me, is the ASUS router compatible as it was an expensive thing to change??"

I've checked the RT-N66U's specifications and it will work just fine. Here's what you need to do to configure it:

1) Connect the Openreach modem to the WAN (blue) socket on the back of the ASUS.

2) Login to the ASUS's setup screens and ensure the connection type is PPPoE and it's set to "Always On" (or its equivalent).

3) Enter your Plusnet username (username@plusdsl.net) and the appropriate password, save the settings and that should be it.

BTW, obviously your ASUS is a far superior product to the "free" one that PlusNet are offering, so at the ordering stage, you should choose to decline the offer of their own router and save yourself the cost of the postage and packing.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel - and how does he get around this one which says in No.16 It's not possible to order fibre optic broadband without our router?

Like this post
stugra

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Thank you - I want to use my ASUS as it has many more advanced features over and above the provided router.

The £5.99 I have to pay for the provided router is a negligible cost - and I will have a spare just in case.

I just wanted to be sure that my ASUS would work - I was aware that the modem would have to be replaced, hence I only spent £15 on it.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Secret-Squirrel - and how does he get around this one which says in No.16 It's not possible to order fibre optic broadband without our router?"

I was already aware of that statement on the Plusnet site when I ordered my fibre-optic broadband just three months ago. However, to my surprise, the signup page had an option for "No Router" which saved me £5.99 in P&P charges.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel - Brilliant, thanks for that. I wonder how many don't see that option!

Like this post
stugra

Likes # 0

Northumbrian fireworks drenched!

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Some of you may be aware of the problems I have am having with plusnet - see another post.

However we had an engineer in on Saturday, and he did not find anything wrong with the line. He then did something that, apparently, even plusnet staff do not know about. I have a TP-Link that is connected to the plusnet unit. What he did was to change the socket on the plusnet ( OK, there are 3 alongside one another and I can never remember whether it is the modem or the router!! ) unit into which the link connecting to the TP-Link connects. Amazing increase in speed, so if you think the speed is slow, it may be worth trying. But I must say that you do this at your own risk, and it is nothing to do with me!!! Good luck if you do!!!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

not got this hi tec fibre bb but seen warnings some are fibre in the street then copper from street to the house causing a big slow down, check its fibreoptic into the home.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback