We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CRT monitor flickers.

Flopper

Likes # 0

Yes, I still use a CRT monitor, albeit one with a very high resolution. However it has started to flicker, as in text on the screen jumps about while booting up. I have tried two different monitors and it does the same with both. I've noticed that with the side taken off the PC I can hear a strange barely audible 'groan' a couple of times as it boots up, almost like a car struggling to start. The fan on the chip and under the graphics card works but the small fan on the motherboard (an Abit IC7-G) doesn't spin, if that is relevant and I am not sure what it's function is? The graphics card also seems to be securely fixed. It was all working the last time I used it a few months ago.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Apart from the fact that this motherboard and by definition this PC is positively ancient, if a fan is not turning on the mother board this will be cause for concern.

But the fact that your graphics problems happen on more than one monitor, (I can remember CRT's by the way, great heavy things) would suggest that your graphics card is on it's way out.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the fan on the graphics card doesn't spin, it may be jammed by years of dust or the motor may have burnt out. Take the card out and try to free the fan. If it does already spin, then probably the motor. Without cooling, the card is probably overheating leading to the problem you describe. Rather than buy a new card, I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and buy a new computer (and monitor!).

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Borrow something that blows air, take the PC into the garden and give it a blast. Actually a hair drier should do the job. Use a stiff (Natural Bristle not man-made fibre) 1" Paint brush to loosen any dirt that a stiff blast will not remove.

Check all the bits are still in their slots (the fancy word is to "re-seat" them) and turn it on again - If any of the fans are not working give them a little TLC. If any still will not work, you have a minor problem but many are replaceable.

Ignore quips about the age of the PC, if it does what you need, it's good enough.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I was going to say, that flickering on a CRT monitor is usually a sign for replacement, but you have mentioned other 'problems' that could well be the problem, having said that you have tried other monitors with the same results.

Try dusting the inside of the computer, and see if the fan will free up and move. If the fan doesn't work on a retry then that could be one of the more noticeable problems?.

As a rough suggestion you could also try a possible diagnostics program from http://www.majorgeeks.com and test the monitor and perhaps other components that way?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014