We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Linux ; Download and Install

Big Trev
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Linux laptop (Acer Aspire One)and I havent a cluen how to install stuff I download from the Web. More used to Windows and Apple. Just downloaded Skype, ran a thing. Saw lots of script. Can't find Skype anywhere? Can anybody offer any enlightenment?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Which Linux system is it running?

Normally, there is a package manager of some kind (could be synaptic) and you simply tick what you want to install and then confirm it. The system looks after the rest providing it's connected to the Internet.

What you cannot do, is install Windows applications on a Linux machine, if that's what you tried to do. There are some exceptions to that, but for now, please take that as being true.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Most Linux distributions use Synaptic package manager, some use Yast, so open Synaptic, may be listed under software centre

In the search box type skype, hit enter

put a tick in the box next to skype, select mark for installation the Apply

Almost all software can be found and installed by this method, sometimes the package takes a bit of finding as it is the package name not the program name that is listed.

Like this post
Big Trev

Likes # 0

Hi. My System Information tells me I am running Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.7E. Where would I find the software centre?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

That's what I was afraid you'd say.

This is how you do it.

Linpus is a crippled Linux system and doesn't come close to demonstrating the possible power and flexibility Linux can provide. You may be better off looking at installing a more flexible system like Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

There are a number of tutorials explaining how to do that including this.

Like this post
Big Trev

Likes # 0

Hi Last Chip

Thanks for your help so far. I downloaded Linux Mint to a SDHC Disc but can't install it (or don't know how!) Tried booting from the SDHC drive, but nothing happens. All the help forums I've seen refer to burning a CD to boot from.

Can you help?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes you need to create a Iso CD with the Download, then boot from it. but is your hard drive big enough to take both? and it would need to be dual boot so you can choose the OS to Run at boot

Like this post
Big Trev

Likes # 0

I created a bootable USB stick which worked and allowed me to install Linux Mint. I formatted the hard drive and over wrote the previous version. All prompts suggested the installation was successful, but when I boot up the computer without the USB stick, all I get is a flashing cursor on a black screen.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Reboot your Aspire One holding down the shift key and report back on the result please.

Please don't run two threads on the same subject, it just gets confusing - thanks.

Like this post
Big Trev

Likes # 0

LastChip - I tried the reboot while holding shift key, but it didn't work or change anything. Held it for about a minute.

Apologies for the double thread.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Do you get any screen information before you see the flashing cursor or not?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014