We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PROBLEMS AGAIN with adyield manager and add ons

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I have inavertently clicked on a download for a free manual and then realised I was downloading one of those AWFUL adyield things, DJ mixi things, it was on Google chrome, I went back to my last question about this and tried the free Hitman pro scan which came up with all the adyield and trojan things on my google browser, it says you get a FREE removal of malware if it finds malware but it WONT clear them, you only get a page to BUY the programme to clear this sht! TOTAL CON!! I have actually un-installed google chrome from my windows xp laptop as I dont know what to do next, so what should I do now? I am using IE as the browser which doesnt seem to be infected with these HORRIBLE add-ons and crap that just appears everytime you click on something, I dont want to re-install google chrome in case it brings all this crp back again, what should I do?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As Jock1e advised in April on one of your other threads - Have you got Spywareblaster downloaded? It's free if you keep to the manual update (don't click on the Autoupdate feature - the autoupdate is what you pay for)

It blocks the Yield Manager tracking Cookie from installing, so you then don't get any of the popup adverts from it. Version 5.0 includes Google Chrome support http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html#Principles

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK thanks, I did have spywareblaster installed but I have now re-installed the version 5.0 from Brightfort (not the download with the autoupdate feature even though it says it is free)- so can I know re-install the google chrome browser? (i like to use the google chrome browser as it has a good translate feature for foregin sites that I dont get on IE) thanks LAPTOPDUNCE.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes you can install Chrome, but don't forget to install SpywareBlaster and do the settings (tick the box to protect against Cookies and Active X) for your browsers and do the manual update regularly :)

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK I have already installed version 5.0 of spywareblaster, how do I alter the settings to protect against cookies and activeX? is it in the home page of the spywareblaster when I open that from the icon on my desktop? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes. Click on the names of the Browsers in the left hand column underneath 'Protection Status' and then make sure/put ticks in Box(es) for ActiveX Protection and Cookie Protection (some browsers listed have both boxes others just the one)

If you want to make sure for your peace of mind that Yield Manager is listed: go to the 'Customize the Block List' and scroll right down to the bottom and you will see Yield Manager cookie listed.

When you do a manual update of 'Download Latest Protection Updates' don't forget to enable the protection as per the prompt you will get on screen after they have downloaded.

Never click on the 'Enhance Your Protection: Get AutoUpdate' link as that will download the version you have to pay for.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Keep in mind that SpywareBlaster does not remove existing cookies, what it does is stop new ones that are on it's list installing.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK thanks for that I will get on and download google chrome again and check the box for active x and cookies when google browser is added to the spywareblaster. Laptopdunce

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK, I have downloaded the google chrome browser and it is showing on the spywareblaster list, "cookie protection" and "script protection" is clicked at the top of the page on google chrome, but on IE browser it is shown as being "activeX protection" and "cookie protection" also I cant find "yieldmanager" anywhere in the customize block list for Google Chrome browser but it is there at the very end of the list in the IE browser customized list? should I somehow write in "yieldmanager" into the customized block list for the chrome browser, and if so, how do I do this? thanks Laptopdunce

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ok, maybe you will be better to have a Chrome Extension.

The most common way to block advertisements using Google Chrome is to install and use the free Adblock extension.

http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome and after install subscribe to a list (it's free) of what it should block. The list will keep itself uptodate once you have chosen one (I have 'Easylist' for my firefox browser, but 'Fanboy's' list is also a good one and popular)

You can also very easily add your own custom filters for ads to block (under Filter Preferences) here are a few for starters adserverplus.com ad.adserverplus.com cloudfront.net habboin.com Ad.yieldmanager.com Forum.91.com also ||powerlinks.com^ and /adsense/* also useful to read this other pca thread from helproom posted at beginning of May

The good thing about AdblockPlus is you can if you want allow less intrusive ads so site does not lose revenue.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK thanks for that I will install that google chrome extension, A funny thing is happenin when I first log on to this laptop now, and when I open up google browser, it comes up with a window that says "your preferecnes cannont be read, sonme features may be unavailable and chagnes to preferences wont be saved" - what does this mean? this has only happened since I re-installed the google browser? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...