We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New cable for virgin media

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, I have virgin media cable ( Internet), I'm moving the router into a new room,but the cable will be to short. Can I just join a new piece to the original cable ,without effecting the signal ,or should I buy a new piece ? Also ,there are many types of cable ,but which type must I buy/use . Thank you

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Try searching or posting here

Cable Forum

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Why move the router? Why not go wireless?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just add the original cable using a normal cable connector which can be bought at Wilkinsons or most DIY stores.Cost about £1.

Or you can buy the cable and connectors from Amazon.

Click here

Have a look and see what you need.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

As woolwell says go wireless, phone Virgin up and they will send you a wireless router free or at least £20 max easy self install as well. If you have connection problems change the channel to either 1,6,11 as other channels may be used in your location and cause problems.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

iqs I've found trying to join cables is just not worth it, site here enter link description here with all the different cables you could need.

If you are used to fast downloads then don't go wireless, you will notice the difference. I have 2 TV's one connected by cable and the other wireless and the buffering on the wireless is minutes not seconds.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

mole1944

Not all computers are wireless enabled so that may not be an option.

Can't find any prices other than for the Superhub on Virgins website and they want £75 for that unless you qualify for a free one. You can however buy a wireless router pretty well anywhere for around £20 upwards. As carver says wireless can limit your speeds somewhat. Its a bit pointless having the high speeds Virgin offers if you are then limited by the wireless speed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I always thought that a router was Wireless and different from a modem so maybe I have got that wrong.

He has probably got the superhub which is wireless or modem whichever way you want to sue it but would prefer it in the other room maybe for a better signal or just for more privacy.

The cable from Amazon which can be bought with different sizes and with the fittings intact should be perfect for what he wants or the old cable with new connectors would do the same job.

Superhub if he has it is not great and changing channels on it may well get a better signal if using Wireless connection.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Jock 1e

The virgin superhub is both wireless and modem combined,they did away with the 2 seperate boxes about18month ago if memory serves me right If iqs hasnt got the superhub it can be supplied free of charge as hes an existing customer Virgin media tend to fit the new superhub next to the TV now so it can be directly connected to the tv via the internet cable,then use your pc as wireless connection through the super hub

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In addition to the link from Carver enter link description here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if I am getting a bit mixed up here or not I am assuming it is the Wire cable that he is shifting and not the ethernet cable.

Wire cable connects directly on to the Superhub if that is what he is using so would not need an extra long ethernet cable.

Or wire connection on to the modem if he still uses that and a small ethernet cable to connect to the Router.

Now if he is connected by phone I don't have a clue.

Maybe if he tells us what Router he has would help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED