We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Print with missing or empty cartrideg

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

Does any of you own - or know of - a printer/scanner/copier that allows you to still print even when one of the ink cartridges is empty or missing? My HP is driving me mad - I can't print just because one of the cartridges is empty, even though I don't need that colour. It's close to defenestration (not just for this reason either - bloody thing...)

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I don't know of any but stand to be corrected. I think the reason is that black is not always printed with the black ink. It sometimes prints "process black" which is a mixture of the colour inks. Also you need to remember that printers use subtractive colours ie the mixture of inks removes a part of the spectrum for each colour and you see is what is left. This is different to what your eyes which see all the colours of light that enter the eye ie. it is additive

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have a number of different make printers, mainly 4in1, some used, some new and still boxed. All seems to have the same limitations regarding empty or near empty cartridge problems. They refuse to continue at one certain point, or give constant warning messages. So possibly that is what the print manufacturer's want to subsidise the cheapness of actual printers nowadays?.

My latest printer that's in regular daily use is a Brother DCP-135C 4in1, which uses 4 x 50pence compatibles (bought through eBay). The black cartridge is the main user, so I obtain extra supplies. This particular printer was a great purchase, works brilliantly and a real cost saver.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton,

It may be possible to get a chip re-setter for your printer and fool it into believing that the cartridge is full again. Be careful though as most printers do not like being run completely dry and damage can take place.

Peter.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys - very helpful. Spuds: noted re the Brother. I've always been an Epson fan (my wife bought me the HP... :-( ) because they're reliable, and because low cost cartridges are readily available. Peter: I'll investigate that. alanrwood: yep, I take your point. What I'd really like to do is, if I'm just printing something relatively unimportant, just change the font colour from black to blue or red or whatever.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi Yes I appreciate what you wanted but even if you print just cyan, yellow or magenta you would find it difficult to print in just that one colour as all colours are mixtures in various proportions.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Any Brother with a separate black cartridge will give you the option of printing in b&w or colour, even in colour mode it will still print in a dark grey.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AFAIK you cannot do it. Printers use Black, Cyan, Yellow and Red to create all of the colours. Some printers add more cartridges but they are designed to work with all cartridges functioning.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks again. Looks like I'll search in vain...

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad