We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

access my emails from another computer

morters

Likes # 0

Can anyone explain in simple terms how I access my emails (and send them) from another computer on a different ISP and about 100 miles away? I have Googled various solutions but have become totally and utterly confused! I initially thought I’d see if I can use Hotmail but this seems to be being phased out.

My ISP is toucansurf.com (now part of TalkTalk) but my emails are rerouted into Microsoft Outlook 2007. I have Windows 7. The other computer, a laptop, runs Windows XP and also has Microsoft Outlook 2007; the ISP is BT Broadband. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Don't leave it till the last minute then... :-) If I were you, I'd get on to it now so you have a chance to see how it works, see if it does what you need. If it's free for 30 days, you have nothing to lose. (I must sound like a GoToMyPC salesman: I'm not - I just loved what it did and how it did it, and was distraught when my company started making us use its crappy VPN system for remote logon instead...) Fyi, other forummers rate TeamViewer very highly - and I think that's free forever. Not sure how its functionality compares, as I've never used it. You could try both... :-)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

To leave a copy on the servers - In Outlook - Tools - Account Settings. In the window that opens highlight the account and click on change. In the window that then opens click on more settings, then on the advance tab put a tick beside Leave a copy of the message.

There are 2 types of email systems - pop and imap. Pop is the more usual one but imap is the other. Whether toucansurf will permit change I don't know.

The other way is not to use Outlook but access your emails through your internet browser (webmail).

The GoToMyPC solution will work if the pc is on. However I don't consider this to be an ideal solution. I have several email addresses, use Outlook and can access emails on my desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhone from just about anywhere I can get a wifi connection or in the case of the iPhone a good 3G signal.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, apologies for delay responding, dinner time! Should have said so. To leave a copy on the servers - In Outlook - Tools - Account Settings. In the window that opens highlight the account and click on change. In the window that then opens click on more settings, then on the advance tab put a tick beside Leave a copy of the message. Seems to have worked - keeps incoming emails and allows me to send them. Problem solved, I think/hope. Thank you so very much.

I have to go out now, so if anyone else responds, don't think I'm rude if I don't respond until tomorrow.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton - thanks for this, will investigate tomorrow. As mentioned in my post above, have to go out now so will not be back on forum until Saturday. Thanks very much for your help.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Or use Teamviewer, it's the same as gotomypc but easier to use and free for personal use. It would need you leaving your home PC on all the time you are away.

Or switch to Gmail or another web based email client. Then you can see your emails no matter where you are and whoever is your ISP.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

xox101 - Gmail is not just web-based. I access it regularly without using my browser. Many ISP emails and domain named emails can be accessed by webmail as well as using an email client. You don't have to move to gmail or similar.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you already have a hotmail account use Outlook.com https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&ct=1369625444&rver=6.1.6206.0&sa=1&ntprob=-1&wp=MBISSLSHARED&wreply=https:%2F%2Fmail.live.com%2F%3Fowa%3D1%26owasuffix%3Dowa%252f&id=64855&snsc=1&cbcxt=mail

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just Google outlook.com , different to Outlook 2007.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...