We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ipad or Ipad mini (or something else?.

Chronos the 2nd
Resolved

Likes # 0

Although I will wander up to John lewis to have a hands on look at both I was wondering if anyone has any views on the merits of either?

I have had an Ipad 2 in the past, cannot remember why I got rid of it so really am looking for views on the mini. Will be used for nothing more than browsing,playing the odd game and a bit of office work (Pages).

Of course major concern is the price, Ipad 4 16GB Wi-Fi £399, Ipad mini 16Gb £269 which is a massive £130 of difference.

I wonder what price the Ipad 2 will go for? Maybe wait and see perhaps.

Or perhaps anorther tablet altogether but I also had the nexus 7 when it first came out and I was not overly impressed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Chronus the 2nd - If its a finance issue, then I don't know if it still applies, but John Lewis use to offer, and still might, free interest charges if you obtained one of their free Partnership store cards. They also use to offer a price-match, but this changed slightly, when they began to offer free extended warranties.

Perhaps worth checking, before making the purchase. Argos also offer 3/6/12 free interest on recent deals.

northumbria61 - Thanks for the information and link, I'll look further into it. At present with the 'cheapo' I purchased its ended up as a "don't have time or inclination" to play around with it device. Perhaps more my (medical) fault than the devices?.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

spuds

It is not really a finance issue as such except I really cannot justify spending any more than £250-£270 on a tablet.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

I'd my hands on both iPad4 (aka3) & iPad mini & eventually stayed with the iPad mini 16GB .

1.The weight & size. My hands won't get tired & can put it in an overcoat's big inside pocket.

2.Price.

The only thing missing is the HD display which I believe will be on iPad mini2, if you can wait or price difference isn't that much then it's strongly recommended.(you might be put off by the SD display) :)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

retep888

I was thinking along those lines myself but knowing Apple, they tend, when they add something/anything to a product of theirs they charge a premium for it.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Chronus - "Whatever I decide to buy I am not spending any more than the price of the Ipad mini" - would you be tempted if you could have easy payments with no interest?

Check out QVCuk.com - Hot pick today iPad 16GB with Retina display and extra accessories £579 with 4 easy pay of £144.75 - 30 days to try it out and 4 months to pay for it - well worth a look or even a 2nd look I would say! enter link description here

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

northumbria61

QVC. Looks an incredibly poor deal, as Apple are selling the same Ipad for £399, the so called extras are just not worth the extra 180 quid.

But that aside apart from a small amount I have on a credit card my days of credit are long gone I would rather pay cash, or rather via my credit card for the extra protection, but then pay off the the amount at the end of the month.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Chronus - Yes, you are right. I wasn't aware that the 16GB model was as cheap as £399 I must have been thinking along the lines of the 32GB with Wi-Fi & Cellular. There are too many combinations these days - and it was early in the day!! I hope you get what you want.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

john bunyan - You are right in saying that it all depends on what you want it for. I have a good desktop and I never thought I would have any need for a tablet but I have no regrets buying the Archos which has the added keyboard if required. The 7inch I did think about but the 10inch suited my needs best. It wouldn't do for us all to like the same or even have the same - life would be so dull and we wouldn't have anything to discuss on here. Keeps me going now that I am 21+ !!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have narrowed it down to either the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or the Ipad mini. I think that the Galaxy might just have the edge on size.

Maybe it's my old eyes but I also looked at an Ipad with Retina display and I could not see any difference with the Ipad mini's display or the Galaxy's for that matter.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Bought myself a 3 month old Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB Wi-Fi. £200 quid.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014