We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Alternate antivirus programs on Windows 8

MikeSA

Likes # 0

Windows 8 comes with a built-in antivirus program viz. Windows Defender. For normal use, is this program sufficient or is it advisable to have an alternate program? If so, which is better?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

At first Avast! had a few problems with Windows 8 but now everything has been sorted. I find it better than AVG as I tried that when Avast were sorting out teething problems.

Defender does a job but I'm not really happy with its performance.

For me Avast! free is my first choice, CNet link. When you download and start installing, check what other programs are offered and if you don't want them installed untick the boxes from the lower to the upper. You will have to register with your email address for a year's free licence.

Second choice is AVG free, scroll down for the free download link, again check when installing if you don't want another toolbar/program installed to untick any boxes. You'll need to register as above.

Lastly it's Defender I'd go with as your PC will run faster than with any other AV paid for or otherwise. Manually scanning the PC fully is abysmally slow, though, compared to the other two.

Add free Spywareblaster, free Malwarebytes (refuse the time trial), and free Superantispyware, and you're done.

Safe browsing comes free :)

Like this post
Britleyjosh

Likes # 1

Opting for best internet security could be a right choice.. I am the user of comodo internet security (CIS).. it's really awesome Features: Comodo Antivirus Cleans Malware Comodo Firewall Protection Defense+ Host Intrusion Protection Auto Sandbox Technology™ Live Expert Virus Removal Actually i choose comodo from AV Test link which i got while i am surfing in internet.. i am really satisfied for choosing the best internet security...:).. I highly recommended CIS.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

I agree with rdave13's penultimate paragraph. For anti virus I use Avira (free).

Like this post
TimeTimer

Likes # 1

Avast and AVG free versions.

Like this post
TechnoNinja

Likes # 1

if you want a free one, use MSE and malwarebyte together along with zonealarm for a pretty good protection thats free. If you want to pay for a good one, get bitdefender if your computer is fast enough because it does take up a lot of resource.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I use bitdefender , with malwarebytes . I would strongly recommend NOT running two AV programs at the same time tho , can really screw things up !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days