We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copying documents from old computer onto USB stick

MikeSA

Likes # 0

I have an old Pentium 1 computer running Windows 98. On the motherboard, the slots are ISA and AGP and externally there are no USB ports, only one serial and one parallel port. There is no DVD writer.

How can I copy some of the Word and Excel documents onto a USB stick to enable me to access the documents for editing on my new computer which is running Windows 8? Will I be able to open the files. It is not possible to fit a USB card on the old computer as USB cards can only fit into a PCI slot. Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I presume the old harddrive is an IDE?

You could take it out and connect it to your new pc as an extra drive. Depending on what connections you have inside your new pc on motherboard, if there is no IDE connector you can buy a adaptor for a sata. Or you could buy a cable IDE to usb (you will need one with it's own power supply if you haven't got a spare molex 4 pin on new pc)

No need to fit the IDE harddrive inside new pc, you can just rest it on your desk (I put mine on top of a cork tablemat) Jumper pin on IDE drive should be set to Master.

These on Amazon will give you a few ideas for deciding best route with what you already have. IDE cable adaptors

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Use dropbox or fire up your old pc and email them to yourself

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

This might do the trick

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Another alternative could be to fit an ISA Ethernet card Click Here to the old PC and then use a crossover ethernet cable Clcik Here so that you can access the files via a network.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...