We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External backup Hardrive Full but exceeds C drive file size

tmr

Likes # 0

My External 500Gb hard drive used for back up is shown as full but my 1000Gb 'C' drive on the Computer shows under 100Gb used in the property window. The total of individual files on the hardrive add up to under 200Gb when viewed in Explorer. What is using the capacity of the external drive?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I find Treesize (free) will tell you .It is fairly easy to use, just click on the drive then expand each folder.

TreeSize

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would suggest that you are creating a fresh back-up rather than an incremental backup which only adds changes to files. Delete all your old backups and change your back-up setting to incremental.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For data back up I would use Freefilesynch in Mirror image mode. Then copy from left to right and the files will add/ delete as needed.

Freefilesynch

Like this post
tmr

Likes # 0

Thanks for suggestions I will follow these up.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

BTW my suggestion re freefilesynch refers only to data. I have my system partitioned to 100 Gog for OS and programmes, and use Acronis True image to do images which work out at about 40 gig each I keep the latest two (non incremental) then ditch the oldest one when I do a new one. I use Freefilesynch in mirror image mode for the data partition. If there is stuff to keep long term I keep it on yet another drive and even on DVD

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It occurs to me, I'm not an expert, that if you are making a Mirror Image of the Drive, as opposes to a Data Back-up, then it would be impossible to mirror a 1Tb drive onto a 500Gb Drive

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

wee eddie

" it would be impossible to mirror a 1Tb drive onto a 500Gb Drive"

If full, yes. But tmr said only 200gig was actually in use, so the mirror copy would be the same. An ATI image (not so easy to access and MUCH slower), would be smaller by compression.

If one is an avid video user a 1Tb or more drive may be good, but I have found 500 gig quite enough. I would rather have several spare 500 gig drives for my purposes than 1TB or higher.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suggest in Windows Explorer, Folder Options, View, you enable 'View Hidden Files and Folders'

You have not said which Op Sys you are using or what program/method you use to make a backup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room