We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using 2 routers with Virgin Media Connection

matt43

Likes # 0

Hi, Over the last few days, we have been having some problems with our wireless connectivity around the house.

We have a Virgin Media Superhub which is connected to our wireless router.

Would I be able to connect another wireless router to the superhub in addition to the first one with a different network name to see if this solves our connection problems? Then the computers can connect to the router that has the best signal.

Could I just plug the second router into one of the other spare ethernet ports on the superhub and run both routers?

I've read other posts that say you need to disable the DHCP server on the second router to avoid conflicts.

I've also read somewhere that I could connect the second router to a spare port on the first one to extend it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You might get better help here. Virgin.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You could just use a wireless extender

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As far as I know you have to switch the wireless off on the superhub and just use it as a modem if you want to run another router from it.

Whether you could run 2 routers off the superhub is doubtful.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[We have a Virgin Media Superhub which is connected to our wireless router.]

Normally you would have the Superhub as first connection then add your router that is the way it is normally done.

If a poor connection have you tried changing the channel on the Superhub and have you checked your download speeds.

Now I have a cable connection so do not know if that makes a difference.

Like this post
matt43

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies.

@Jock1e The Superhub is currently set as modem only.

When we got the Superhub we decided to keep the existing wireless router as everything was already set up to use that.

Now that we're having wireless problems though, it might be that the wireless on the old router is not working as it should. So what I'm hoping to do is add another wireless router to take over.

If I plugged the new router into a spare socket on the old one, would that work?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

matt43

Not sure but I believe only one socket works when you use the superhub as a modem.

Like this post
matt43

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e, I think you're right about it only allowing 1 router.

I'm now looking at the option of adding the netgear router as a wireless access point. If there is a problem with the wireless signal from the old router, the access point should take over the wireless part of the routing.

I've followed this guide: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965 to set up the netgear router and plugged it into the old router.

I can connect to both routers and get to their settings pages etc so things are partly working but the netgear one doesn't seem to be getting the internet passed through from the main router.

Not sure how to make that work.

Any ideas?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

matt43

Sorry not got a clue.No doubt someone will be able to give you the information that you need but this being a Bank Holiday it will probably be quiet on here,it usually is at weekends.

Did you try the Virginmedia Forum they are usually very helpful on there.

Not sure why they call it a superhub it is not that good.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone