We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I print the content of an email?

stlucia2

Likes # 0

I've just created, and sent, an email to multiple (5) addresses, using Outlook Express. I want to print a hard copy of the email for my records, but when I go to "Print" all I get is the "From", "To", "Sent", and "Subject" lines, without the main message. I've told it to print all pages, in the print dialogue box.

I've just checked using an older sent email, and it prints out in full. The only thing different about the current one is that its message was cut and pasted from a Word document, so the text is using a different font from the default (and only, I think) OE font.

I've also forwarded the current message to another of my own email accounts, and when I try to print that received copy using OE I get the same result. Seems that the message, though visible on the screen, is invisible to the printer. Any suggestions how I can remedy this, please? I seem not to be able to change the font style in OE.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm, strange. I've just tried copying and pasting into a new document in Outlook. When I print, I get the text but nothing else - the complete opposite to you!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you have Microsoft XPS document writer you can "print" to. Try printing it to that then print out from the XPS document.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

With the email open, and within the email top menu click on 'File' | 'Save As' and - depending on the format of the email - you will get some options. If .txt or unicode text is there in the dropdown 'Save as Type' box, choose one of those and save it to your Desktop (so you can find it easily) this file will then open with Notepad. Or you could try the HTML (when you open the saved HTML file it will open in your browser)

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

rdave13, I've just tried printing to .xps, but when I then go to Word to open it, I get an error message, "Microsoft Office cannot open this file because some parts are missing or invalid".

But I've just tried printing it to Adobe PDF instead, and that works :-)

I'm still curious though why I can't print direct, so further discussion would be welcome.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry, I thought you only needed a hard copy of it. With XPS simply select file and print for your hard copy.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Sorry, I'm not with you there rdave13: XPS appears as a virtual printer when I open the print dialogue box, so when I "print" to it it creates a file, just like Adobe PDF does. To print the file it's created, I have to open it, don't I?

Anyway, that begs the question; what has gone wrong (or have I done wrong) so that OE won't print part of an email that's displayed on the screen?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The reason it does not print is because the email contains a box from the database that generates the reply it is not all one lot of text. You could try changing it to a text email not html but I'm not sure that it would work.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Rightclick on the email and choose 'Properties' | 'Details' tab and 'Message Source' | then click inside that and press Ctrl+A to copy all, and paste into Notepad.

Do the same with the old one that prints ok.

Now compare the two Notepad text documents for differences, that may give you some clues.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is the way I do it. Selecting the virtual XPS as a printer I get a dialogue box up and I usually save to desktop after naming. The document will open if you double click it and top left select file and print. This time selecting the printer. Being a bit mean I just burn the important emails to CD as a copy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes