We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New graphics card, or new pc?

aj99
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm not too tech savvy, so you'll have to bear with me. I've got an AMD Sempron 140, 2.7ghz with 2.75gb ram. It's fitted with an NVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics card which I just don't think is up to the job anymore, I don't play any really high spec games, but even the ones that I am trying now the graphics are really slow and jumpy if they even work at all. But my question is, is it worthwhile updating the graphics card, if so to what? Or would it make more sense to just buy a whole new tower? I don't have endless funds, maybe around the £300 mark if I'm looking at a new system. Sorry if that's not enough info, like I said this is just what I could manage to find out.

Many thanks for any help.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

aj99

As I understand it the GeForce 6150 is not a graphics card but an integrated chip on your motherboard. I'ld make a physical check, take of the cover and see if the expansion slot is populated. If the slots are empty install a card that will meet your requirements.

Like this post
aj99

Likes # 0

Didn't know it was possible to have an integrated chip as oppose to an actual graphics card. Will try to check later re the expansion slot. So, you think I'd be ok just buying a good graphics card? There are so many out there how do I know what to go for?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

With that processor you are never going to have a particularly good gaming PC, but you can certainly add a graphics card to your system.

If you download this SIW the home edition (free) is all you need, install and run it and when it opens on the left hand side you will see a list of component headings, if you click on motherboard you will be able to see make and model at the top of the page which will open on the right. Post that here and we will be able to help you with a GPU choice.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You may find a general clean-up of the computer may help, check what programs are running.

Like this post
aj99

Likes # 0

Apparently the motherboard is a Pegatron 2A99h and it has 4 pci slots. No mention of a pci-e slot.Told you I wasn't very tech savvy! Looks like maybe I should just go for a new set-up and spend more money.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Seems like you do have a PCI-E slot if this is your motherboard. A make I have never come across before now. Which means that it will support a fairy modern graphics card.

Did you not bother to download and install SIW in my earlier post?

Like this post
aj99

Likes # 0

The SIW you gave the link to would work, but I've managed to find out this info.

PropertyValue(Hewlett-Packard Compaq 505B Microtower PC)

Summary Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION Model 2A99h Version 6.01

Bridge

North Bridge NVIDIA MCP61 Revision A3

South Bridge NVIDIA MCP61 Revision A2

CPU Name AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor

Cpu Socket Socket AM3 (938)

Max CPU Speed 2700 MHz

Memory Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes

Maximum Memory Module Size [unknown]

Memory Slots 2

System Slots

ISA 0

PCI 4

AGP 0

VL-BUS 0

EISA 0

PCMCIA 0

ExpressCard 0

MCA 0

Hope that's of some use. Really appreciate the help.

Like this post
aj99

Likes # 0

Supposed to say WOULDN'T WORK!!!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Strange as I am on my phone and the link works perfectly for me.

You could Google SIW and the first on the list will be System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topola that is what you are looking for anyway.

But I am sure the mobo I found was your one but I would like to be sure as your details mentions more what you have not got rather than what your motherboard has.

So if you could install SIW or another one is Belarc, not as detailed but should do the job.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You said you were having trouble with the SIW link, it is OK so I wonder if you might need to hold down either the left Ctrl key or left shift key and see if that helps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide