We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

GPU Upgrade recomendations

Brezza

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

Im looking to upgrade my GPU to somthing with a little more kick, however im pretty useless when it comes to thease sort of things. I was looking to spend around £100-£150. The card i have at the moment is as follows....

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68BE) DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz) Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN1002&DEV68BE&SUBSYSE138174B&REV00 Display Memory: 747 MB Dedicated Memory: 1004 MB

Any help would be apreciated :)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Useful to know what your motherboard is and your CPU. What exactly is your GPU as you have stated series as opposed to the actual card.

Use this to get the above details. SIW, scroll down to the free home edition. Install then open and on the left hand side about halfway down you will see a list of your components. click on one and the details will open up on the right hand side. The main details will be at the top.

Like this post
Brezza

Likes # 0

Hi many thanks for the info, here are the results from the scan.

----- [Motherboard] --------------------------------------------

Property Value Summary Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model GA-880GM-UD2H Version Serial Number Bridge North Bridge AMD 880G Revision 00 South Bridge AMD SB700 Revision 00 CPU Name AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor Cpu Socket Socket AM3 (938) Max CPU Speed 3000MHz Memory Summary Reported by BIOS Memory Type DDR3 Installed Memory 16384 MB Available Memory 16381 MB Channels Dual Maximum Capacity 16384 MB Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MB Memory Slots 4 Error Correction None System Slots ISA 0 PCI 4 AGP 1 VL-BUS 0 EISA 0 PCMCIA 0 ExpressCard 0 MCA 0

----- [Video] ----------------------------------------------------------------

Property Value Video Adapter Radeon HD 5750 Code Name RV840 Video Processor AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68BE) Technology 40 nm Adapter DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz) PCI ID 0x1002 / 0x68BE - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] / Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 5750] PCI sub ID 0x174B / 0xE138 - PC Partner Limited / Radeon HD 6750 Memory 1024 MBytes Performance Level Current Adapter BIOS String Not Available Adapter BIOS Date 10/06/09 PnP Device Id pci\ven1002&dev68be Video Mode Description Not Available Driver Version 9.12.0.0 Drivers Not Available Driver Date 12-19-2012 DirectX DirectX 11

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

All I really needed was Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Which is this. Which tells me you have a AM3 system. Your current GPU is a HD5750 and your CPU is a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T.

What about your power supply, you might need to take the side of the cae off to find out the wattage/make. This info is needed as some GPU's are power hungry and also it would useful to know if your PSU had PCI-E connectors for your graphic card upgrade.

Are you a gamer? If so what sort of games?

Like this post
Brezza

Likes # 0

Heya,

Many thanks for the reply.

Yeah the Power Supply is a 600w OCZ Modular unit, i can add and remove any connectors i need. The current card takes a 6 pin PCI-E Connector at the moment but i have enough space to plug in another if needed :)

Thanks

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<<Im looking to upgrade my GPU to somthing with a little more kick>>

Based on your PC spec & 600W PSU then try this > £100 Radeon HD 6870 click here or < £150 Radeon HD 7850 click here

Please check the interior dimension of your tower case if it'll accommodate the graphic card.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I'm with retep888 on this, good suggestions.

Like this post
Brezza

Likes # 0

Sweet, nice on mate.

Appreciate the help. For the sake of £40 i think ill go for the 7850 :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September