We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting laptop to a hotspot

K*B

Likes # 0

I have a laptop configured for internet connectivity at home using an ADSL wireless modem. Can I go elsewhere and connect to another wireless network (hotspot) without confusing the configuration for home on the laptop? So, if I take my laptop to a coffee shop and connect through the hotspot there to browse the internet, and come back home, will anything have changed regarding the settings on my laptop for my home internet connectivity? thanks in advance.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

There shouldn't be any problem connecting to a different WiFi router and then reverting to your own ADSL service.

The Laptop's TCP/IPv4 settings need to be set to get both IP and DNS Server addresses automatically but, unless you have configured these to get fixed addresses, the default setting is to get them automatically anyway.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks for rseponse, mgmcc. I am connected to the internet at home through an ADSL modem. I also frequent a hotspot in town. When I take my laptop to this hotspot, can I connect to and surf the internet there without the need to have it reconfigured to connect to my ISP when I return home? In other words can I be connected online automaticaaly at home and then at the hotspot every now and again without the need for reconfiguration of my latop? Thanks.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

K*B I have no problem doing exactly what you describe with my laptop and tablet. Mine automatically connects to one or the other provided that you initially set up whatever passwords are asked for.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks very much, chub_tor. I'll try it and see. Confident now!

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

mgmcc & chub_tor! thanks; I managed to connect to the coffee shop hotspot, but my laptop is now asking for a firewall authentication before final connection to the internet. What do I do and how do I achieve this authentication? Thanks?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I might be wrong here, but don't you connect to a hotspot via the password within a browser? So if you use BT as an ISP you use the browser to connect?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?