We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 firewall wont start

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just managed to get my grand daughter's laptop going again after a vius, and scans say all is well, including, at last windows security centre and the MSE is running. However I cannot get the windows (7) firewall to turn on - a red bar is showing and a splash screen says Action Centre cannot turn on Windows Firewall When I try to turn it on manually then "Use recommended settings" a circle rotates but nothing happens. Tried a MS Autofix from MS support - still no joy. I hope it can be fixed, if not is there another free firewall? There does not seem to be one in the programme files.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Just running sfc / scannow - tried looking in services.msc - shows it is running, but it wont start

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I assume that you have done a reboot.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell. Yes, a few times. In desperation I am looking for an alternative as it will not start. sfc /scannow showed no errors. I get error code 0x80070424 and windows fixit did not work.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Have a look here

http://www.filehippo.com/software/security/

Try Zone Alarm perhaps ?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

iscanut2

Yes but it wants to make itself the default search engine etc, which I do not like.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For now have installed PC Tools Firewall - so far so good!

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Just an idea.Have you tried restoring windows 7 firewall settings to default?Control panel/windows firewall/restore defaults?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

hiwatt

Yes - tried that. I am having an operation tomorrow so will have a relook on Thursday - at least PC tools is running and I suspect a registry problem following the removal of the Ramnit virus.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks, will try it later

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today