We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sudden dropping out of Internet

aitch2

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Desktop running Win7 which until yesterday has been working fine. Howver, whlist on the Net, I had a BSOD with an error mesage saying:

c**\windows\minidump\052013-29718-01.dmp c\user\app data\temp\wer-72727.0sysdata.xw BC code 50 BCP FFFF900cif9000 Page fail in nonpaged area**

Computer was rebooted and the same problem occurred when I next tried the internet connection. (Internet connection is good and stable as I can use the Laptop)I appear to be able to be on the net for a couple of minutes before this happens.

Have scanned with AVG, run Spybot, thinking it might be a virus but nothing sinister found. Even run defrag, but that OK also. Don't really understand the dialog box and messages so any help appreciated

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you changed anything recently? Have you installed any Windows Updates?

You can try a System Restore back to a point before the problem started if there is one. You can also try running in safe mode to see if the same problem occurs.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you have CCleaner installed try running the Registry first.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Nine times out of ten page fault errors are caused by drivers crashing sometimes an update or even a roll back of the driver the event viewer or something like Who Crashed may guide you to the guilty party

Cheers HC

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

After much 'faffing' around yesterday, eventually managed to get back to the internet and some reliability. Had installed 'NAT GEOG Calendars' to do a project for my neighbour. No updates involved though. Did run cCleaner with Registry, and normal scan, but nothing untoward found. Did a system restore and it's been stable ever since. No BSOD. However, I'm now told AVG Free, is off, and I can't switch it back on. Windows Defender is now running so I need to sort out that side of things today. Thanks for the help and suggestions, Aitch

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you're having problems with AVG, run a malwarebytes scan in case something unpleasant has found its way onto your system.

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, I'd just done one when your post appeared. Nothing found to cause any problems.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You should be able to repair AVG via Control Panel - Programs & Features. Select change (not uninstall)

Like this post
aitch2

Likes # 0

Northumbria61: Tried your suggestion but whilst the computer chuntered away (no other programs running etc.) nothing seems to have happened, and still left with the inability to switch AVG back on, or for that matter, uninstall and re-install. Will also try a REVO download and see if that helps. Thanks,

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

While you are using Revo (great program), get rid of AVG altogether and instead try Microsoft Security Essentials, which IMHO is really good - I and all my friends use MSE.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...