We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W32 Virus Ramnit - where from?

john bunyan

Likes # 0

My grand daughter's W7 laptop has acquired a Ramnit virus. I propose to use an ATI clone from a couple of months ago to go back to a pre infected state, as it seems to be one of those that infects everything. She has MSE as anti virus. I wonder where it came from ? She does (18 year old) use Facebook, and recently downloaded a lifestyle programme to do with slimming. The virus destroyed passwords and stopped updates and prevented the windows security centre from opening, as well, I suspect, of creating a hidden "guest" user account. Any suggestions on further preventative measures? I was only able to log on at all by a friend who helped me hack in, as the user name and password were declared wrong..

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

A few details here. F-Secure. And here Eset. And Removal.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Thanks; as the clone is fairly recent and the disc is partitioned into system and data, I can keep the data, check it, clone and replace the data, but I will look closely at your links. Still would love to know how it got in.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Has it come via email?

Where did she download the lifestyle program from?

I am going off MSE. Your tale has prompted me to do something about my son's system.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've had laptops / PCs with all the main players in the antivirus world infected in some way or another. Nothing (however much is paid) seems to protect from everything.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks all. Will come back later.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This 2 year old thread is worth a read.

Bleepingcomputer

[Ramnit is commonly spread via a Flash Drive ]

If you use a flash drive maybe do a security scan on that as well.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Maybe brush the cobwebs off the the wallet and and fork out £15.95 for this.

Emisoft Anti malware for 3 computers

You have to renew it every year but well worth the price considering it covers 3 Pc's.

If you or anyone decides to download it from that site make sure you put your correct e-mail address on it as the send the keycode by e-mail.

I use Eset and Emmisoft but there are plenty others to choose from on that site all reasonably priced.

I always say any free Anti Virus as long as you have a good pay for Anti-malware program that gives you full time protection.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Thanks, I will follow it up. I use for my PC Avira, SAS and MBAM and do frequent scans. My grand daughter has MSE as I thought it would auto update - she also theoretically has MBAM and SAS but when I eventually ran the latter it found 3 Windows Security Centre blockers and 55 tracking cookies. I find none on my machines when I scan!. I suspect she uses social network sites too carelessly. Very happy to fork out for the Emisoft - do you think it would have blocked it?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

john bunyan - Have a look at the anti-virus reviews and tests and then compare prices. Does she do any on-line banking as she may get free security with that?

I use Kaspersky and my wife Norton. Neither of us have had a problem and my wife uses Facebook a lot. Both programs alerts to bad downloads and bad sites.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

She has a 7" Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet, with I think, Kapersky Android anti virus, uses it to do essays then transfers into Word on the laptop using Dropbox or USB - I wonder if the tablet was involved? I am trying to find the name of a site from which she downloaded a programme to do with dieting etc - will report back when I find it, but it looked suspicious to me. Although she is reasonably academic - 7 A*, 3 A,1 B GCSE's and just finished International Baccalaureate exams (6 subjects) , she is impetuous and, I suspect, reckless in some sites visited like many teenagers and thinks she knows it all!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...