We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

YouTube disconnects my internet?

PianoMan91

Likes # 0

Basically I've been having some issues with my internet connection, which strangely seem to occur when I'm viewing YouTube videos.

Each time I watch a video it works fine for a few minutes, then suddenly my internet connection drops. The status on my laptop still says "Connected" but I'm unable to load any pages, on any browser. The only way I'm able to get my internet connection back is to restart the computer.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 Processor Count: 2 RAM: 2999 Mb Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1308 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 228472 MB, Free - 148529 MB; Motherboard: Acer, JV50_MV Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2013, Updated and Enabled

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

What is your internet connection speed and connection set up?

Recommend Avast anti virus over AVG these days. AVG has got a bloated recently. Does the problem arise about midday when AVG starts it's default scan?

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

It could well be your ISP is blocking you, some are known not to tolerate streaming of video other than their own content

Only way you could know for sure is if you have an alternative ISP or possibly a piggy back on some friendly local persons WIFI with a second PC to run simultaneous tests ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
PianoMan91

Likes # 0

Thanks for your responses.

I'm using a Wi-Fi connection with a Virgin Media Superhub. Never had any issues with it with speed- and the problem only seems to occur on my laptop and not any other devices, which makes me think it's definitely an issue with my system rather than an ISP or router related problem.

I've tried replacing AVG with Avast and I'll have to see how things go over the next couple of days- hopefully that may have helped.

Like this post
Sonum

Likes # 0

Hey there, I'm having the exact same problem. I can see it was a while ago now, did you get the issue resolved? Its really annoying, and its only happening on my main PC. Everything else is fine.

Like this post
Sonum

Likes # 0

Hey there, I'm having the exact same problem. I can see it was a while ago now, did you get the issue resolved? Its really annoying, and its only happening on my main PC. Everything else is fine.

Thanks!

Like this post
sudakshin1

Likes # 0

Hey, I too am facing the exact same problem on my PC, which is weird cos it only happens when I use youtube, the only way to gt my connection back is by restartin the PC. Please Help.

Like this post
juantoothree4

Likes # 0

Hello any updates on this? Really annoying, I have been experiencing this for a long time and couldn't find solutions when tried searching, always bad parameters.

Like this post
ventoline

Likes # 0

This usually happens to me when I move the Youtube play bar forward and backward on long videos. What I did to fix it was to reinstall AVG without Browsing Protection.

Please confirm.

Like this post
ranniely

Likes # 0

Hello. I've been having the same exact problem for weeks now. The video just stopped on 9 sec or something like that and so did my connection... but like ventoline proposed, i just turned off AVG WEB PROTECTION function, and it seems that problem is solved.

Confirmed.

Thanks ventoline!

Like this post
dario.ario.rio.io.o

Likes # 0

Hi guys. I've been dealing with this problem for quite awhile, browsed the internet for solutions but there was nothing to be found, just questions, no answers. But it seems that the rumors about AVG causing this problem are true. I updated my AVG 2013 to AVG 2014 and it seems that the problems is solved for now. I'll be testing this in next few days and let you know if the problem is truly solved or not. Cheers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen