We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BTYahoo account hacking

Ex.Airways

Likes # 0

My BT Yahoo Account has been hacked twicw in the last 10 days, First time my address book ws taken and most people on my address book received an e-mail saying I had been mugged abroad, please send money etc....BTYahoo sorted the problem and when finished restoring account Said my Account was safe with BTYahoo. then last Friday my account was hacked again, this time I could not sign in saying my password was incorrect when i went to password help I was told my personal detail answers were incorrect on phoning BTYahoo again they said my account had been hacked and the hacker had changed my password and personal details. BTYahoo sorted it again and said stay with BTYahoo your account is safe with them......What is happening at Yahoo? Is my account safe with them?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that you will need to re-think your password policy, it would appear that 'they' were able to guess it.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Avoid just dictionary words, names and numbers. Use wild card symbols such as @ for a, $ for s, zero for o's etc. Make it at least 8 characters, preferably more with both upper and lower case.

For example a simple phrase turned into a password:

1LoveAstonVilla - pretty strong in itself with a number, upper and lower case. It now becomes even stronger using the above:

1L0veA$t0nVill@

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It was suggested to me to choose a favourite song, then use the first letters of each word. Throw in a couple of numbers, and you have a pretty good password.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

My secure Yahoo account was hacked, albeit with a strong password. It was done via a phone in Egypt, then a phone in Turkey. The hackers probably use a software program to decypher which skips through 10,000s of variables. Both BT and Yahoo have been targeted, both of which aren't entirely secure.

I've changed to Gmail which is more secure.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with michaelw, it seems as if the hash lists have been stolen/leaked from btyahoo and are being used by hackers using software to decipher the hashes into passwords.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Yes, it's the second time my BTYahoo Mail account has been hacked. Changed the password first time as Yahoo recommended but its happened again 3 months later. They steal your contacts and send emails to your contacts first time. They sent me a message from one of my contacts second time with a file I opened thinking it was genuine and my antivirus picked up and sorted a Trojan. Channel 4 news had an article on it last week which says keyloggers are installed to track online bank accounts. Yahoo says to change password again. Doesn't inspire confidence!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I only have 200 computer mates and in the last week, or 10 days maybe, 4 have been hacked. See my post earlier .... (Strong Passwords)

By the way - they have all been BT / Yahoo and they (BT) won't admit it's their problem and why should they? A cr@p password , (See my post earlier again), is going to get hacked.

When I ask those people if they send or recirculate "chain mails" by the cc address they say yes! What do they expect? Nobody seems to understand what Bcc is!!!!!

Sorry rant over!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Add another one in the last hour! Again at yahoo.co. uk - apparrently his family have been mugged and held to ransom in Spain - No, not really! I know he is at a meeting 2 miles away in the UK.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Snrub - Thanks for that link! Confirms what I thought from current experiences, Brilliant! I'm not paranoid after all and the password advice I gave in the earlier post is not in vain!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...