We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's the pinout for a PSU with BOTH 24 and 20 pin connectors?

Riyock
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

This is my first post so please forgive if I'm posting in wrong place, etc.

I am trying to figure out the pin-out of my PSU as I want to test to see if it is working properly. Am confused by the connectors it has.

I have a Dell Precision T5400, which has an EATX format mobo. On this mobo there are two PSU connections: P1 which is 24 pins and P2 which is 20 pins.

The PSU I have is an 875W unit which has the 2 connectors mentioned plus 1x 4-pin mole and 2x 6-pin connectors:

http://izupa.com/index.php/power-supplies/dell-precision-t5400-875w-power-supply-w-harness-yn642.html

My PC won't boot, but there appears to be some power to the mobo, so I think that either it's the PSU or the mobo which is faulty. If I know the correct pinout i should be able to test with a multimeter?

Unfortunately I can't find anywhere on the internet information about my type of PSU, it seems most ATX types have either a 20 or 24 pin connector not BOTH OR at least those are the only articles that pop up during a Google search.

Would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 1

Just enter "ATX pinout" into your search bar and you should find something that will give you the colour codes and voltages then you can test it with your meter.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 1

If you go here you can download the manual for this machine

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/precision-t5400

download the user manual and look in the adding and replacing parts section for power supply dc pin assignments

Cheers HC

Like this post  
Riyock

Likes # 0

Thanks TOSH, that is exactly what I wanted!

Also after testing with my meter I realised that the colour coding is the same as what is used for a standard PSU - so that helps too.

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)