We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC desktop crashes

1st spring

Likes # 0

XP Home. PC fan and grid was thick with dust and kept crashing. I cleaned the PC fan and grid but still it kept on crashing. I also could not back date. That was before the PC stopped working completely.

Can you give any advise please before having to take it in to be repaird becasue it might not be worth paying out for. The PC is about 4 years old.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

You may have fried the processor, save all your data (You have it backed up anyway haven't you),try inserting your original discs and do a repair, failing that try doing a fresh reinstall, and if that fails well sometimes it's a case of a new machine. You say your processor fins we're full of the crud, well my machine is a metre of the floor and every 6 months I strip the side of the machine and airblast the crud that has accumulated usually not much admittedly.

Like this post
1st spring

Likes # 0

No data back up, do not know how, also no disks. (failing that try doing a fresh reinstall) don't know how to do that either, but I imagine I need the disk for that to.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What happens when you press the power on button? Does the fans spin and the hard-drive make a noise when you press the button? May be worth removing the side and seeing what happens.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If you decide to junk the PC, there is no reason why you should not remove the Hard Drive, put it in a Caddy and it becomes an External Drive.

You will then be able to transfer the information from it, onto your new PC, format it and use it as a Back-up device

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

On second thoughts, a 4 year old PC is not that old, in fact it should be in its prime although it's given age, that it's running Windows XP somewhat surprises me.

When you cleaned it out: Have you blown all the dust from the inside? You can buy Compressed Air Canisters to do this, but a Hair Drier is cheaper.

Particularly, blow through the PSU from both directions. Do not, under any circumstances, open the PSU or stick anything metal into it. Even while turned off and unplugged, there are life threatening voltages stored in the condensers inside.

Also, it is probably worth checking that all connections are still tight and re-seating any cards installed in the PC.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried tapping F8 as it boots up

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Did you lift the fan off the heatsink? - there is likely to be a thick mat of dust there.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

1st spring, please do not mess with the insides of the pc. Ask your friend that has helped you in the past.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote