We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB drive no longer being recognised.

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

For the past 8 months or so I have been using two ScanDisk Cruzer Blade USB 8gb drives, to use as a back up.

Up till now they worked no problem at all, but this afternoon I inserted one of the drives and got a message saying...

USB device not recognised.

One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it.

I have tried both drives but neither work.

I am running win xp service pack 2.

Any solution to this please?

Thank you.

Richard

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Try them in a different computer. If they don't work there, the chances are they've become corrupt (can happen if they are just pulled from the port rather than using the 'safely remove hardware' button). Alternatively, try a different device in your computer.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Have a look in Device Manager for a yellow triangle. This means (usually) that the USB controller has corrupted drivers. Otherwise it is a strange coincidence if both USB drives failed at the same time.

If there is a triangle there, the routine is delete the USB drivers and then re-boot when Windows will find and install new drivers.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I checked the usb drives in my wifes PC, they worked fine.

I have a usb socket on the front of my PC, it is this socket I am using.

I tried another usb device in this socket but it wouldnt work.

So it seems I have a problem with the usb socket?

Right?

Thanks

Richard

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Take Diemmess advice a stage further - in Device Manage, uninstall ALL USB devices. Reboot the computer and Windows will reinstall. If the front port still doesn't work, easiest solution is a short USB extension lead from one of the rear ports.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I have no spare usb ports at the back of the PC. Is there something like a 3 into one usb plug?

Thanks

Richard

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

probably something like this that you want.

Click Here

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Where the USB hub (and that's really what this is, does not have its own power supply, it simply won't work with most external HHDs.

If you don't have a desktop, or you do have a desktop but no room for an internal device, I would prefer something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-7-Port-High-Speed-HUB-Powered-AC-Adapter-Black-789-UK-/350786481032?pt=UKComputingUSB_Cables&hash=item51ac80eb88

but for better safety all round go for

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Port-USB-2-0-PCI-Host-Card-4-External-1-Internal-Hub-/320895176180?pt=UKComputingComputerComponents_InterfaceCards&hash=item4ab6d7cdf4

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'