We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Urgent meeting this morning, Acer laptop windows 7 failing to open please help

costak

Likes # 0

Dear community, I am experiencing a problem with my laptop and I shall send out great karma to anyone that can help.

Model: Acer 6530G Laptop Operating System: Win 7

Last night I uninstalled Adobe Reader. I then installed Foxit pdf. I shut down the computer later on. Before the computer shut down, it installed windows update config. I have a feeling that the computer died before it finished installing updates.

Now when I start the comp I select my user account, and it shows:

1) Windows explorer has stopped working 2) Host process for windows tasks has stopped working

Then I get a blue screen with no cursor of folders or anything. I tried safe mode with networking. It takes me into windows and and then I can see the start, my folders etc. but I cant load anything such as a folder, file or program.

Please can anyone help?

Costa

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Whilst in Safe mode, did you not try System Restore?

Or try this again in Safe mode.

1. Open a Command Window in Administrator mode:

• clickStart
    • click All Programs, then Accessories
    • right click on the Command Prompt option,
    • on the drop down menu which appears, click on the Run as Administrator option.
  2. If you haven’t disabled User Account Control (and you shouldn’t!) you will be asked for authorisation. Click the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password.

3. Start the System File Checker

4. In the Command Prompt window, type:sfc /scannow,

• press Enter.
    • You’ll see “the system scan will begin”.

The scan may take some time and windows will repair/replace any corrupt or missing files. You will be asked to insert your Windows 7 DVD if it’s needed.

Close the Command Prompt Window when the job is finished.

Like this post
costak

Likes # 0

Thank you so much for the help Chronos the 2nd.

Finally i had a break through today, my computer is finally working!!!

My wife introduced me to a cousin of hers that know about computers.

He told me that when i pulled the power cable out of the computer whilst it was configuring windows updates, i screwed it up. He didn't seem to think it had anything to with installing fox it pdf or uninstalling adobe reader. So he extracted my data files to an external hard drive and then reformatted my computer. He then told me off rightly so; the computer tookt 3 hours to put right! Now it works, back to basics.

Lesson learnt, when i leave the house in a rush and i want to disconnect the computer from the power supply, make sure i select the option for shut down without installing updates. Plus i have learnt how to back up my data properly and to take a "saved image state". Also making a system repair disk in case of a problem in the future again.

Thanks for the help and suggestions Chronos the 2nd

You are an inspiration, have a great day!!!!

costak

Like this post
costak

Likes # 0

Thank you for showing an interest.

Finally i had a break through today, my computer is finally working!!!

My wife introduced me to a cousin of hers that know about computers.

He told me that when i pulled the power cable out of the computer whilst it was configuring windows updates, i screwed it up. He didn't seem to think it had anything to with installing fox it pdf or uninstalling adobe reader. So he extracted my data files to an external hard drive and then reformatted my computer. He then told me off rightly so; the computer took 3 hours to put right! Now it works, back to basics.

Lesson learned, when i leave the house in a rush and i want to disconnect the computer from the power supply, make sure i select the option for shut down without installing updates. Plus i have learned how to back up my data properly and to take a "saved image state". Also making a system repair disk in case of a problem in the future again.

Thanks for the help and suggestions Chronos the 2nd

You are an inspiration, have a great day!!!!

costak

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...