We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

M'soft Word Processor- can't email?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has Windows 7 and is using Microsoft Word Processor to type his essay. When he tries to email it using the envelope icon he gets an error message. Is this because it is automatically trying to use Outlook Express, which he hasn'r got?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You should find a solution here enter link description here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you. It would seem that saving the document as a PDF is the way to go. Please can someone confirm that W7 has the facility to do this? (i believe that with earlier os's you need additional software to do this?)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

buel - it appears that PDF is the best way to go enter link description here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. However, he does not have outlook express so my question is can he save his doc in Word Processor as a PDF or does he need additional software?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is not because he has not got Outlook Express. However he may not have a default email client, eg Windows Live Mail, installed. Does your friend use webmail only? In which case you need to save the document and attach it.

pdf creation is part of later versions of Word (not related to whether it is XP, Vista, W7 or W8). The advantage of attaching as a pdf files is that you can be fairly sure that the recipient can open it but if you want to send a document that can be edited then it is best to a send a doc attachment (note doc not docx). Doc is the format for earlier versions eg 2003 and can be created when saving.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you. Just save it as xxxx.doc then?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Yes - then attach it. But you haven't answered about email client or webmail.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Apologies. He uses webmail- Yahoo. The reason i asked is that i read that there are often problems attaching Word Processor docs to emails?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As he uses webmail we now know why it doesn't work directly from within Word ie it doesn't work unless there is a default email client.

There shouldn't be a major problem attaching a word doc.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you. So a 'Word Processor' doc is the same as a Word document?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks