We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot remove a download

nobrains154

Likes # 0

Hello, I downloaded a song from youtube to my desktop, now i am unable to delete it. I have tried using cc cleaner and tune up utilities, but no luck also system restore, any help suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Which operating system are you using? How did you initially try to delete it and did you get a message?

Did you try dropping it into the recycle bin and deleting it from there?

What options do you get when you right-click on it?

Does the download appear in your "Downloads" folder?

You could try to re-name the file. I don't know your OS but if you right click do you get the "rename" option or do you get "Properties". If you get properties you will see the text for the name of your file - see if it will let you change it.

Like this post
nobrains154

Likes # 0

Hi Difarn, Thanks for the reply, i am using Vista. Tried all that you suggested nothing works, if i right click and delete the box comes up saying "recycling" that just stays there for hours, or it freezes the pc, same when i try to rename it, names changes but just sits there with the new name. it downloaded straight to the desktop. once again thanks for the reply, cheers John.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Try deleting it in "Safe Mode" or boot with a Linux CD.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Virus present?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Am I missing the point, but why a Linux CD ?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try unlocker, link to 64 bit version. 32 bit version on FileHippo.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I had this problem deleting a video file and indeed unlocker that rdave13 has linked to did the job,its a very valuable tool

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

A Linux CD opens up an operating system independent of Windows and can bupass many Windows restrictions. Still better to try Safe Mode first and see if it works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)