We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows xp

BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi All

Please could somebody help me i have just scrapped a computer that had XP installed so the question is can i put that operating system on my laptop instead of windows 7 as i have read some were that it can only be put on the original machine,i have the product key of the old computer so would i have any problems.

Thanks In Advance

BIGXXH
Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

a computer that had XP installed Can only be installed on the Original Machine - OEM version - not transferable.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I cannot understand why you would want to replace Windows 7 with XP anyway. It is a backwards step in my opinion.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Transferring would all depend on the licence for the product, whether it was originally installed (when purchased)on the computer (with possibly a boot-up disk included), a OEM or a main product operating system purchased on its own?.

Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi All

The computer came with windows installed but it also had the windows disc with it and the (product No) on the side of the machine so would that make any difference if i wanted to put it on another machine.As i have said i scrapped the original and am haveing trouble with windows7 and i don't have a disc for that hope that makes sence.

Thanks BIGXXH
Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

W XP will install on another PC even if it is an OEM version, You are breaking the licence agreement but I have yet to have a problem re activating Windows XP when I have installed it on a different PC.

Keep the sticker off the scrapped PC - it will not come off easily - easier to keep the side panel!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Before you do anything with XP you had better make sure that all the XP Drivers for your laptop are available.

If laptop came with W7 installed you should have a program on there that will burn the recovery DVDs for a re-install. Tell us the make and model and we can advise.

If all else fails you can download and burn the official MS W7 DVD from link on Heidoc.net

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

"I cannot understand why you would want to replace Windows 7 with XP anyway. It is a backwards step in my opinion."

I run an XP machine and a W7 machine side-by-side, and continue to massively prefer XP... Each to his own, Northumbria61 :-)

strong text

Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi All

Got it sorted now put windows xp on laptop and all worked, sorry for being late with this post but work takes up a lot of one's time to my regret thank's all for your input will be in touch again i expect as there are always problems that need shareing.

BIGXXH
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia