We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Accessing the school computer from my computer at home

johnincrete
Resolved

Likes # 0

I want to be able to access the school computer from my computer at home and vice verca and to be able to transfer files or to update them. What software should I install?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Teamviewer will probably work Teamviewer providing it can get past the school firewall. I suspect you will need to speak with your IT department.

I use this frequently to provide remote access and remote PC support for friends.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I had a good experience with GoToMyPC - until the company I work for stopped us from using it. Now I have to use the corporate VPN, which is garbage by the side of GoToMyPC...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This can be a touchy subject to some school's and education authorities. I would suggest that you have a word with the person responsible for the IT equipment in the particular school first.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Absolutely agree with Taff's recommendation for Teamviewer. I've used it for years and it seems to cope with the most complicated firewall structures, transparently. It's also free :-)

BUT spuds is absolutely correct - you will need talk to your school network admins. They are likely to have some fairly strong ideas (!) about allowing ad-hoc external access to their network and it is unlikely that anything will work unless they enable the relevant permissions.

If you are just looking to exchange files, Dropbox or some other cloud-based storage might be a better bet but, as before, I'd be surprised if you had the permissions to do this without talking to the Sysadmins.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I did not make it clear: the school is here in sunny Crete and is owned by my daughter. The remote access will be from my laptop or hers at home. Teamviewer seems to be the answer

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...