We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do I need a local network?

johnincrete

Likes # 0

My main computer with attached printer is in my basement. The internet runs from a router that is in my apartment and is connected by a wire. I am about to take delivery of a new laptop to use in my apartment and which will also connect to the router with a wire. When I had an old laptop, if I wrote something in Word and wanted to print it, I had to copy it to a USB stick and take it to the main computer. I got into difficulties with a Power Point presentation which I was developing on the main computer but running on the laptop, ensuring that the files on the two machines were the same. It would be extremely convenient if I could: (a) share files beetween the two computers i.e. to open something on one machine that physically existed on the other machine, and update it. (b) Be able to print something from the laptop on the Canon MG 5250 printer. The printer has some form of networking capability but I'm not sure what. (c) Have Skype running on both computers and to accept a call on the one I nearest to. Do I need to set up a network and, if so, how? The new laptop will be running Windows XP SP3 the same as my main computer unless I convert the main computer to Windows 7 which I am reluctant to do.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Yes. Why on earth order a new laptop with XP on it? (I assume it is brand new - can you still get XP on a brand new machine?) All you have said can be done by setting up a local network.

Basically you run the Network wizard in control panel on both machines. Make sure you have the same network name in both - the default is MSHOME or on a XP Pro machine WORKGROUP - change both to something else.

Reboot both computers. You may need to set up an account password on both machines but you should then be able to view files, share printers as above.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It can be tricky setting up XP on a W7 network, so you may be better sticking with XP on both. A guide is here

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

John: note that, when you've done what the guys suggest, you'll be able to access the printer from any of your PCs/laptops. What you'll need to do is to install a 'new' printer on whichever machine(s) the printer isn't attached to, and choose 'network printer'. The wizard will (should) find your printer for you. However, there can be issues in a mixed W7/XP environment, but they're easy enough to solve - I did it myself. Oh, and, on the machine that the printer is attached to, you'll need to change the properties of the printer to 'share'.

Oh, and: good for you for buying an XP machine - despite what Taff said... :-)

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

All good advice chaps and I agree with you both. XP support is nearing closure though - it's older than the hills ;0) Now gimme Vista every time!

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Taff

"Now gimme Vista every time!"

Flipping heck, I'd rather have Windows Millenium! Now, if you said W7, that would be a whole different matter (and, yes, I know they share the same kernel)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Taff: there's nothing wrong with being older than the hills. I speak from personal experience... ;-)

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

"It can be tricky setting up XP on a W7 network..."

But it's a doddle to set-up a W7 machine on an XP network (that's how I run my network at the moment) so I'm with Taff - why on earth would you go for a new XP machine?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I would look at getting a network printer and connect it to the router by Ethernet or wifi. With that set up you can then print from any computer connected to the router without any of the other computers being switched on.

I'm in the W7 camp and have had W7 and XP happily talking to each other and even W8.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Reread your post. You already have a suitable printer which if you set up so that it connected by wifi would work.

Skype - have the same account on each pc/laptop and have Skype open on the nearest. You can answer from whichever. I regularly switch between desktop, ipad and laptop. There is no need for a network for this.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

The new laptop will come with Windows 8 but will have either 7 or XP put on it because there is too much talk about windows 8 problems. I accept that, sometime in the future, XP will go but I am happy with it and I'm too old a dog to learn many new tricks! Onthelimit: Thanks for the link to the guide. Woolwell: The printer is connected to the machine in the basement by normal wire.

Thanks all once again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'