We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's happened to the -5volt supply on PSU's

wile e

Likes # 0

Hi, I recently bought two EVO Labs PSU's one for a PC that would freeze and after checking and replacing the memory, the processor, and the graphics card the computer still froze. As a last resort I decided to replace the PSU as well, I own a PSU checking device and noticed that the checker did not show the -5volts. I contacted EVO Labs who suggested I return the PSU's and obtain replacements, I duly returned to my local computer store and explained about the missing -5volt. They checked the rest of their stock which had the same problem, I got a refund and tried another store this time two ACE psu's and lo and behold they have exactly the same problem (no -5volt) I have four pc's and all of them on testing do show -5volts. Is this a design fault or is the -5volts not necessary any more?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 I have looked again at the motherboard and there are no ISA slots so presumably no ISA bus so why this board wants a -5V supply is a mystery to me.

wile e As both Fruitbat and onthelimit1 have pointed out the reason for modern ATX power units not having a -5V supply is that it became redundant with the removal of the ISA bus on modern boards.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......