We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Incremental Back-up - How often to change Base Files?

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am using the W7 back-up to an External WD Drive, which it does once every week.

How often should I delete the lot and start from scratch again?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Depends on how many changes you make to your System and Programs, no need to keep more than two, or at most three, backups. Delete the oldest.

I don't make many changes and make Full Backups using Acronis roughly every three weeks.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

as far as I know that is not how incremental backup's work.

There is one Backup of the whole System and then a copy is added of all the changes made during each intervening period.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Nontek: I believe that that thread is mistaken, but have insufficient knowledge to say so for certain.

My W7 Backup certainly says that it is doing a backup, every Sunday, when all the required parts of the System are turned on

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I must admit, although I have Win7 I never use its' built-in backup system, so I am not sure either. I am pretty sure you are correct in saying that it is doing weekly backups, but I don't trust anything other than Full Backups no matter what program produces them.

In the event of needing to use the saved backups, if only one part of the Incremental has become corrupted in any way, then the whole thing will not work as one would require.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Bump ~~~ Anyone got any relevant ideas

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I prefer to use Acronis True Image. I do a full image, then another and on the third discard the first, so I have on plus a reserve. I find it takes no more time than an incremental one. I also do a clone to yet another drive. I actually have my main drive partitioned C; and F; - op system and programmes on C for which I use Acronis, and data on F, for which I use Freefilesynch - for making a mirror image very quickly indeed.This latter I do every couple of days, and the C I do when there have been MS updates.(All after a scan for viruses and malware and a defrag.)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

In the total absence of any advice, I have decide to Clear the Back-up Base File every 3rd month, or there about.

The only decision still to be made, is to whether I re-Format the Drive when I delete the old File, but I am thinking that this is probably OTT.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...