We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tried to remove UK Police Ransomware and Vista not working - help!

entsal007
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi there

My wife recently had her laptop (running Vista) infected with the UK Police Ransomware which was locking everything out. After some searching we came across the HitManPro malware removal app. We created a USB bootable of this and successfully ran a scan on the laptop, and it requested it delete the file 77cbc18d.exe which it advised was "suspicious". Many other methods had failed to get this far so it looked like a major success! However, now when we boot up the laptop it goes into Vista as far as asking for the user password, then comes up with the DOS command screen containing the following error message:

77cbc18d.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I've tried the DOS Shutdown command, rebooted, etc but it continues to boot up into this same DOS window, and will not go into Windows at all.

Our problems are therefore: 1) Was removal of this file actually successful in removing the virus? 2) How can we fix the above DOS error message and successfully boot the PC into its normal Vista environment.

Many thanks for any help, tips or advice. We're relatively PC literate but not fantastic techies sorry.

Regards.

Like this post
entsal007

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone

Yes loads of data and files on this laptop ... backup is approx 2 months old so not the end of the world but would lose data yes...

I cannot get into Start/All Programs etc ... since whether I log in via normal or any of the Safe modes ... laptop always goes into the blank screen with the MS DOS prompt screen showing message as mentioned above.

The only access I have is via a DOS prompt...

Thank you

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Summery

Cannot get into Windows normal or Safemode or Safe mode with networking so any online scans or sfc/ scannow will not work.

No system Restore points

Options

Remove hard drive and connect it to another PC / Laptop either direct or via a caddy to extract data - pros data recovered - cons possibility but unlikely to transfer virus to other machine then replace drive in laptop and reset to factory conditions.

Immediately reset to factory conditions - pros no likelihood of transferring virus - cons loss of last 2 months worth of data.

Exact make and model of Laptop?

Like this post
entsal007

Likes # 0

I could use XCOPY within DOS I suppose (??) to copy all my data and documents onto a portable hard drive ... then when these are copied onto another laptop with virus and malware protection running then this would remove any threats ... then I can restore the infected laptop...

Is this the best solution??

Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Modern DOS 9used since XP) is not quite like the old DOS and I'm sure if Xcopy will work or if your external drive will be seen in DOS, but worth a try.

For this sort of thing I usually boot the machine from a live linux CD and save the data to USB sticks or external drive before resetting.

Like this post
entsal007

Likes # 0

Xcopy worked perfectly thanks everyone :)

Now to rebuild laptop from Vista disk...

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers